Sign in to follow this  
Krylian

Toronto Sports Radio Wars

http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/8278...e-up-at-fan-590

The FAN 590 is undergoing a major shake-up as a raft of on-air personalities were let go Thursday morning.

According to sources, the departed include morning co-hosts Don Landry and Gord Stellick, mid-morning host Mike Hogan and news announcer Rick Ralph. In addition, Jack Armstrong’s mid-afternoon show has been killed, though Armstrong and co-host Eric Smith may remain on staff.

Rogers Sportsnet’s Daren Millard, host of the noon hockey show, has been replaced by Greg Brady. Millard will likely return to a full-time job at Sportsnet.

Brady was hired away from AM 640, where he co-hosted The Bill Watters Show. His departure from 640, which recently axed its noontime Leafs Lunch show, leaves Watters’ future in doubt as his show has languished in the ratings and has not made any headway against The FAN.

Brady will host a two-hour hockey show, followed by an hour of general sports talk leading into Bob McCown’s Prime Time Sports at 4 p.m.

That means the FAN has basically remade its entire schedule, with the exception of McCown’s show.

It is not known who will replace the morning duo who have been together since 2004, nor who will replace Hogan, another longtime FAN employee.

While program director Don Kollins did not return The Star’s calls Thursday morning, it is believed the moves were made to boost ratings.

While McCown soared in the recent ratings book with a 10.8 audience share among adult males, the rest of The FAN’s ratings were considered static. All fared relatively well in the last book, but much of that boost came from the Vancouver Olympics and was not expected to continue.

Holy crap. They basically got rid of everyone except for Bobcat.

Geez, guess I should have had a resume ready. :P

I'm surprised they got rid of Mike Hogan completely. He'd been there forever.

Greg Brady is an interesting choice to basically be on all afternoon. He can range from highly entertaining to downright irritating. Prime Time Sports is apparently moving to 3pm-6pm now.

I like the thought of TSN Radio. That will blow the FAN out of the water.

TSN Radio will launch April 13th on 1050AM.

I like the thought of TSN Radio. That will blow the FAN out of the water.

Wouldn't mind seeing them try to steal the Bobcat from the FAN. Other than him, I don't really much care for the FAN personalities.

Wouldn't mind seeing them try to steal the Bobcat from the FAN. Other than him, I don't really much care for the FAN personalities.

Apparently, they're targeting AM640 employees.

Greg Brady and Jim Lang are the new morning drive co-hosts at the FAN.

Daren Millard returns to Hockeycentral @ Noon.

Haven't listened to the morning show in ages...but to me, Brady has personality of wet toast.

Norm Rumack is going to be back on the FAN on weekends.

Norm Rumack is going to be back on the FAN on weekends.

Who's gonna serve me my double-double now?

Radio is still alive??? :blink:

They are lucky if I listen to 8 minutes of it a month.

Radio is still alive??? :blink:

They are lucky if I listen to 8 minutes of it a month.

Thankfully, or else I'd be poorer than I already am.

TSN Radio launches tomorrow.

Howard Berger and Roger Lajoie fired by FAN 590 today.

Howard Berger and Roger Lajoie fired by FAN 590 today.

Surprised they got rid of Berger. Lajoie was like their utility guy who they'd plop in to cover for almost anyone.

Surprised they got rid of Berger. Lajoie was like their utility guy who they'd plop in to cover for almost anyone.

Probably (almost definitely) cost-cutting. Berger, having been there since the stone age, was probably making too much money to justify him barely being on-air for 4 months of the year.

As for Lajoie, I get the feeling Gord Stellick is their new spot starter.

Turns out Roger Lajoie was not fired. He posted a tweet referring to moving on, but apparently wasn't referring to the FAN, but rather another one of his jobs.

Berger had actually started going into the Jays clubhouse for pre and post game interviews, so its not like he just did hockey anymore. But I guess they still wanted someone to specialize.

Mike Hogan has resurfaced at TSN Radio.

FAN finally cut bait on the Andrew Krystal Experiment. He was getting beat in ratings by the syndicated American program "The Dan Patrick Show" on TSN Radio.

So basically, people would rather listen to the Patrick show talk non-stop about basketball than Krystal's attempts to be controversial.

Thank Jebus... I know whenever I turned on the fan and heard him on the air I immediately switched to TSN radio. Couldn't stand the guy.