Jordan

2011 Leafs Trade Talk

I'd rather they signed him to a multi-year deal. 3 years at 2.5m per year seems fair. Things should get much more clear as Monday approaches regarding his demands. Take what you can get if he's looking for 3+m.

If I'm not mistaken he was awarded around $2.5M via arbitration last year after a pretty inferior season...which is why Atlanta walked and let him be a UFA. Pretty sure he'd be looking at $3M+ after this season.

If I'm not mistaken he was awarded around $2.5M via arbitration last year after a pretty inferior season...which is why Atlanta walked and let him be a UFA. Pretty sure he'd be looking at $3M+ after this season.

Thrashers told the arbitrator to award him that much so they could walk away.

Thrashers told the arbitrator to award him that much so they could walk away.

Why did he have to be awareded $2.5M for them to walk away. Can't they walk away from any amount if they just don't want the player anymore?

Why did he have to be awareded $2.5M for them to walk away. Can't they walk away from any amount if they just don't want the player anymore?

No, if the arbitrator awards below a certain amount (based on cap - think it's around $1.2 million), the team does not have the right to walk away.

I think this happened to Buffalo with Tim Kennedy. The arbitration award was too low for them to be able to walk away, so they had to buy him out.

Kulemin in the off season was signed to a 2 year contract at $2.35 per season. Since MacArthur is the team leader in scoring he deserves at least a little more than that, so $2.5 to $2.7 million per year?

Kulemin in the off season was signed to a 2 year contract at $2.35 per season. Since MacArthur is the team leader in scoring he deserves at least a little more than that, so $2.5 to $2.7 million per year?

Colby Armstrong makes 3 million as a third liner, Bozak makes 3.725, Versteeg was signed for 3.08...why should he get less than any of those guys? I think he should get a deal similar to Versteeg.

Colby Armstrong is more valuable to this team that MacArthur, Bozak does not make 3.725 and Versteeg's contract was not given to him by the Leafs. MacArthur deserves no more than 2.5 million in my opinion. One breakout season is not enough to have your salary tripled long term, in most cases anyway.

This could be a career year, but remember MacArthur is still only 25 and before his prime. He could get even better in the next 3-4 seasons, and he's shown great chemistry with Grabovski and Kulemin. They're both still young guys too, so you can use all three in your rebuilding process. He's not just an offensive player either, he also leads the team in hits and he's a good back checker. I'd be willing to give him a 3 year contract at $3 million per season.

Is that true? I thought Luke Schenn was first in the LEAGUE among defensemen in hits.

I had heard so on the radio today. I've tried finding a confirmation online, but I can't find anywhere that actually lists that stat so far.

Schenn leads the team and is 6th in the league and 1st among defencemen. 190 hits.

MacArthur leads all forwards on the team in hits with 94.

Colby Armstrong is more valuable to this team that MacArthur, Bozak does not make 3.725 and Versteeg's contract was not given to him by the Leafs. MacArthur deserves no more than 2.5 million in my opinion. One breakout season is not enough to have your salary tripled long term, in most cases anyway.

Do you do any fact checking?

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/teams/TOR?year=2011

Bozak's cap hit is 3.725, it's not a secret.

Versteeg was traded for and signed to an extension

Armstrong is valuable and you could argue 3 million is fair, however MacArthur over the last three years has had 17, 16 and now 18 goals and is 25 years of age, 3 1/2 years younger than Colby.

I had heard so on the radio today. I've tried finding a confirmation online, but I can't find anywhere that actually lists that stat so far.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20112ALLSASAll&sort=hits&viewName=rtssPlayerStats

Schenn is 6th in hitting, first among D.

http://www.nhlnumber...s/TOR?year=2011

Armstrong is valuable and you could argue 3 million is fair, however MacArthur over the last three years has had 17, 16 and now 18 goals and is 25 years of age, 3 1/2 years younger than Colby.

Bozak's actual cap hit will be lower once the season is over and his bonuses are not met.

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/teams/TOR?year=2011

Bozak is not going to hit ANY of those bonuses other than maybe 1, and won't be re-signed for $3.75M.

Also, Versteeg was signed to his current contract by the Blackhawks, and Armstrong's value cannot be measured in goals and assists entirely. If you're going to make a retort about fact checking, I suggest you check your facts. Although admittedly, the last point is somewhat subjective.

Also, Versteeg was signed to his current contract by the Blackhawks, and Armstrong's value cannot be measured in goals and assists entirely. If you're going to make a retort about fact checking, I suggest you check your facts. Although admittedly, the last point is somewhat subjective.

I'll give you the Versteeg point, I honestly believed he had signed with an extension with the Leafs, appears the deal was done in 2009.

As for Bozak, looks like his salary will be in the 1-1.5 million range as the only bonus he'll get is related to ice time. He probably won't score another 10 goals to hit the 20 goal bonus or 22 assists, or pts per game or.......so again I am corrected. *tail between leg* although I still say MacArthur at 3 million is fair.

MacArthur leads all forwards on the team in hits with 94.

Thats probably what they said, and I just misremembered :P

Will be interesting to see what Burke does on Monday. I know he doesn't like to do much on the actual trade deadline day, but with the recent run, there will be pressure to add some depth. Don't think he would sell a significant future piece (one of the 1st rounders or Colborne or Kadri) for a rental or anything, but this weekend will probably go a long way to helping Burke decide what to do .

Will be interesting to see what Burke does on Monday. I know he doesn't like to do much on the actual trade deadline day, but with the recent run, there will be pressure to add some depth. Don't think he would sell a significant future piece (one of the 1st rounders or Colborne or Kadri) for a rental or anything, but this weekend will probably go a long way to helping Burke decide what to do .

The Avs want a 2nd for Liles. Any cahnce of Burke talking them down to a 3rd and a middling prospect (Mikus)?

The Avs want a 2nd for Liles. Any cahnce of Burke talking them down to a 3rd and a middling prospect (Mikus)?

I don't know. I guess it depends on who else is in on Liles and how desperate they are. Don't like the Liles contract, but it's only one more year. Liles is the kind of deal that goes down at the last minute.

Any cheaper but comparable options?

To Liles? not really, not to my knowledge...

Craig Rivet on re-entry waivers? A good Two-way defender and leader in the past, but a disaster recently.

Bryan McCabe could also be leaving Florida. But I don't think any of us, including Bryan, want to go down that road again.

Edited by Ryan