Jordan

Chara on Pacioretty

Which hit on Grabo? The one that he "passed out" after, or the one where he got levelled into the boards? I don't think either was a penalty, I just think Chara is a big guy.

Guest zorf

Then why did our two smartest players, Armstrong and Bozak throw everything they had at the big dick every opportunity they could? They knew what he was doing, even if our chickenshit heavies didn't want to mess with him. Man, if you don't protect the best players, there won't even be a game.

I don't have a problem with either the hit or the 'no suspension' decision.

Unless you're a die hard Habs fanatic (obviously, I ain't)

you should view this as a freak incident - those do happen, you know.

None of the crap that went on in the previous games applies here or relevant.

Just my $.02

Take it or leave it.

Which hit on Grabo? The one that he "passed out" after, or the one where he got levelled into the boards? I don't think either was a penalty, I just think Chara is a big guy.

the first one was illegal because it was interference. not because he is big.

:nhl_crash: like this gif there was no puck contact

Someone who happens to commit illegal hits and injure people does end up being dirty. As we are seeing interference can turn out to be just as injurious as a hit from behind.

Edited by Alex Giniw

This just crossed my desk at canoe.ca:

"Exclusive: Air Canada threatens to withdraw NHL sponsorship until headshot issue addressed. More to come. "

I'll post the story once it has been filed.

You know what, after looking at the replays again it really does look like at the last moment Chara pushes Paciorrety forwards, and he's looking right in the direction of the stansion the whole time. I dunno... I think he really did mean to drive him into it, even if he didn't mean to fracture his neck.

Air Canada threatens NHL over headshots

""From a corporate social responsibility standpoint, it is becoming increasingly difficult to associate our brand with sports events which could lead to serious and irresponsible accidents; action must be taken by the NHL before we are encountered with a fatality.

"Unless the NHL takes immediate action with serious suspension to the players in question to curtail these life-threatening injuries, Air Canada will withdraw its sponsorship of hockey." "

Guest zorf

Should be interesting if the Montreal police lay charges. As Jared says, that should be some kind of a "WTF" for the mickey mousers in the league office. This might get Cherry's third man in finally shut down.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=357316

"I am upset and disgusted that the league didn't think enough of (the hit) to suspend him," Pacioretty told TSN. "I not mad for myself, I'm mad because if other players see a hit like that and think it's okay, they won't be suspended, then other players will get hurt like I got hurt."

"It's been an emotional day. I saw the video for the first time this morning. You see the hit, I've got a fractured vertebrae, I'm in hospital and I thought the league would do something, a little something. I'm not talking a big number, I don't know, one game, two games, three games...whatever, but something to show that it's not right."

"I heard (Chara) said he didn't mean to do it. I felt he did mean to do it. I would feel better if he said he made a mistake and that he was sorry for doing that, I could forgive that, but I guess he's talking about how I jumped up or something."

"I believe he was trying to guide my head into the turnbuckle. We all know where the turnbuckle is. It wasn't a head shot like a lot of head shots we see but I do feel he targeted my head into the turnbuckle."

I think Chara should have been suspended for a couple games.

How can the NHL say it's serious about trying to prevent concussions if it lets something like this go. Now any player can say "Oh it was just a Hockey Play" when something similar happens.

Air Canada threatens NHL over headshots

""From a corporate social responsibility standpoint, it is becoming increasingly difficult to associate our brand with sports events which could lead to serious and irresponsible accidents; action must be taken by the NHL before we are encountered with a fatality.

"Unless the NHL takes immediate action with serious suspension to the players in question to curtail these life-threatening injuries, Air Canada will withdraw its sponsorship of hockey." "

Air Canada is based out of Montreal.....just sayin'....

So no more hockey games at the ACC?

corporates need to get a reality check.

And while they are at it, they can give us some of their tickets too.

Edited by St. John's Leafer

A player hurt of that magnitude deserves to be suspended. Definitely the act of intent in my opinion was there.

A player hurt of that magnitude deserves to be suspended. Definitely the act of intent in my opinion was there.

Suspend the act, not the result.

If he did that anywhere else on the ice it would've been a take out along the boards like we've seen thousands of times in our lives. No suspension is the right call.

If I hit you with a hard open ice hit, knock your helmet off and you fall and crack your head open on the ice, should I get suspended cause you got injured? Suspended for what.....too good of a body check?

Ironically, someone would have to have a serious head injury to buy an Air Canada flight with the recent price hikes.

Best comment I've seen so far on the Air Canada situation:

ESPN_Burnside: Air Canada promises to transport Zdeno Chara to Montreal police. But flight delayed and bags ended up in Prince Rupert

Suspend the act, not the result.

If he did that anywhere else on the ice it would've been a take out along the boards like we've seen thousands of times in our lives. No suspension is the right call.

If I hit you with a hard open ice hit, knock your helmet off and you fall and crack your head open on the ice, should I get suspended cause you got injured? Suspended for what.....too good of a body check?

Have you watched the video? If so, how can you make the argument you just made. Chara wittingly directed Max's head into the stanchion (at least that's what the visual evidence, and Max's testimony indicates). The act was dangerous, the result was horrific. I don't know what else to say.

I've seen the video dozens of times....check page 1 of the thread. He pushed his shoulder and tried to drive him into the boards.

The puck was chipped in and they were both chasing. Chara could do 1 of two things:

1. Try to take him out of the play and rub him out...which is what he was trying to do.

2. Let him go by.

#2 is not an option. It's completely counter-instinctive to everything you've ever been taught.

He looks up about a second before the impact, and direct Max's head into the stanchion with his hands. In my opinion, he knew what he was doing; he knew where he was on the ice. Obviously we will never know, as he's already taken a position of ignorance. But again, I'm not imputing malevolence on the part of Chara; I am, however, suggesting that he exploited the design of the rink and another player's vulnerability. That's worthy of a suspension in my eyes.

charahit.jpg

He looks up about a second before the impact, and direct Max's head into the stanchion with his hands. In my opinion, he knew what he was doing; he knew where he was on the ice. Obviously we will never know, as he's already taken a position of ignorance. But again, I'm not imputing malevolence on the part of Chara; I am, however, suggesting that he exploited the design of the rink and another player's vulnerability. That's worthy of a suspension in my eyes.

charahit.jpg

You can't just look at a still photo. It adds no context. Look at the video and you can see that he pushes the shoulder and the still photo that you posted is his arm following through on the shoulder push.

I've seen the video dozens of times....check page 1 of the thread. He pushed his shoulder and tried to drive him into the boards.

The puck was chipped in and they were both chasing. Chara could do 1 of two things:

1. Try to take him out of the play and rub him out...which is what he was trying to do.

2. Let him go by.

#2 is not an option. It's completely counter-instinctive to everything you've ever been taught.

Exactly.

How many times have we heard the expression "gotta finish your check"?

I honestly believe Chara was in no frame of mind - nor had any ill will to calculate his forward momentum + the angle of collision = successfully ramming an unsuspecting Pacioretty's noggin into the stanchion...IMHO - shit just happens.