Sign in to follow this  
Bret

Obscure/Foreign Movies That You Should Watch

Big Titanic fan here, too. Thought it was great.

Agree about Avatar, though. Didn't care for that at all.

Big Titanic fan here, too. Thought it was great.

Agree about Avatar, though. Didn't care for that at all.

Avatar was great for it's special effects, and setting. The story itself was recycled, way more than Titanic's was

It was a great spectical to see it in 3D at the cinema. But essentially, it was Pocahontas in space.

I thought Titanic was a great movie and deserved all the accolades it got. Love seeing directors go for break and then having it pay off for them tenfold.

Haven't seen Avatar yet and am not really interested in seeing it, but Cameron has a long list of awesome movies. Not very easy to bash a director of his quality.

Hey different strokes for different strokes I used to be a big fan of Cameron, Aliens, Terminator, The Abyss are some of my favorites but imo the guy has not made a decent movie since 1991 (maybe 1994 True Lies)

And from the looks of things won't be making anything decent any time soon. Avatar II & III anyone?

Anyway sorry back to obscure and foreign:

Attack the Gas Station (1999 Korea)

641249.jpg

Edited by dubmarine

I thought Titanic was more over-hyped than the Beatles. It was up against a pretty shallow Oscar class that year, which is probably why it did so well. As Good as it Gets and Good Will Hunting were up that year, and both have significantly better plots and acting than Titanic does, but neither movie has stunning visuals. James Cameron makes some decent movies, but I would put this towards the bottom of his list, but that's probably just because I prefer the genre of his other movies. As for the Avatar vs. Titanic debate... both have terrible, predictable plots, but Avatar blows Titanic out of the water in terms of visuals for its time. One thing I could never stand about Avatar was the minteral "unobtainium." Put some fucking effort into creating a name for this rare mineral. It practically ruined the movie for me. I will say this. I hate 3-D movies. I find the 3-D distracting and annoying. When I saw Avatar in 3-D it blew my mind. They did 3-D right. I haven't seen a movie do 3-D that well since.

I agree with Oscars meaning jack. Slumdog Millionaire won the Oscar. Denzel won for Training Day over Sean Penn for I am Sam. Forrest Gump beat both Shawshank and Pulp Fiction. Every so often they'll get one right (i.e. No Country for Old Men), but more often than not it's just Hollywood politics (i.e. Hurt Locker).

Apparently Life of Pi is killer good in 3D.

i would rather watch wrexham play than watch slumdog millionaire, same goes for avatar

I enjoyed Slumdog.

Seconded - I thought it was great.

There was nothing original about the Avatar storyline, but I respected the marvel of its 3D visuals. They revolutionized 3D movies.

Probably won't interest many here, but I really enjoyed this film:

The Damned United

Saw it, loved it. Great movie.

Ma boiiiii Colm is great in it, too.

not got round to seeing that yet, mainly cos i hate leeds

WE ALL HATE LEEDS, SCUM

plus they're yorkshire bastards

Black Dynamite is confirmed hilarious.

Not a movie, but I recommend "Black Mirror" -- a 3-part British mini-series. Each episode deals with the dark side of media, with a different story and cast. Episode 1 is about the kidnapping of a fictitious royal, and the kidnapper demands the Prime Minister have sex with a pig on live TV. Episode 2 is a dystopian story where the citizens must peddle bikes all day to power the world and gain currency. The final episode imagines a world where most people have a memory chip that allows them to record and playback everything they see, and how that would affect a marriage.

Brilliant, brilliant stuff.

Episode 1 is about the kidnapping of a fictitious royal, and the kidnapper demands the Prime Minister have sex with a pig on live TV.

:lol: Sounds like my kind of television.

Oldboy confirmed awesome. So, so good, actually. Watch it.

Spike Lee's Oldboy remake coming out late this year...