Sign in to follow this  
Jordan

2011 NHL Entry Draft

The story making the rounds is that the Oilers will pick Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 1st overall on Friday night.

This draft is 4-5 players deep (depending on who you talk to) then all shit will break loose. Starting with the Sens, I think you'll see some off-the-deep-end picks, teams trading way down and way up and teams getting out of the 1st round altogether for immediate help. It'll be like the last hour of trade deadline day, I think. Deals fast and furious.

1. Edmonton Oilers

2. Colorado Avalanche

3. Florida Panthers

4. New Jersey Devils

5. New York Islanders

6. Ottawa Senators

7. Winnipeg

8. Columbus Blue Jackets

9. Boston Bruins (via Toronto)

10. Minnesota Wild

11. Colorado Avalanche (via St. Louis)

12. Carolina Hurricanes

13. Calgary Flames

14. Dallas Stars

15. New York Rangers

16. Buffalo Sabres

17. Montreal Canadiens

18. Chicago Blackhawks

19. Edmonton Oilers (via Los Angeles)

20. Phoenix Coyotes

21. Ottawa Senators (via Nashville)

22. Anaheim Ducks

23. Pittsburgh Penguins

24. Detroit Red Wings

25. Toronto Maple Leafs (via Philadelphia)

26. Washington Capitals

27. Tampa Bay Lightning

28. San Jose Sharks

29. Vancouver Canucks

30. Toronto Maple Leafs (via Boston)

NHL CSB Final Rankings

ISS Final Rankings

TSN Top-60 Prospects

I read somewhere by someone that BB is prepared to traded down as he believes choices 11 thru 50 are of the same quality.

This may not be anything close to a draft where you can't seem to miss in the first round, but I think there is a lot of good talent in the late first round.

There seems to be a pretty strong consensus out there among scouts and hockey media (and like Jordan said) there is elite talent in the top 4-5, and any of the top 9 have the potential to jump into the top 5 for certain teams or in some situations. After that, it all comes down to the scouts and management and who they value.

Even the 1999 draft had some late gems in it. Martin Havlat, Jordan Leopold, Ryan Malone, Ryan Miller, Martin Erat, and Henrik Zetterberg were all drafted in '99 as well as a lot of decent fringe players. Henrik Zetterberg and Ryan Miller are obviously two of the best today so even if the draft this year is shallow, there will still be some gems. All we need to do is land one of them.

Even the 1999 draft had some late gems in it. Martin Havlat, Jordan Leopold, Ryan Malone, Ryan Miller, Martin Erat, and Henrik Zetterberg were all drafted in '99 as well as a lot of decent fringe players. Henrik Zetterberg and Ryan Miller are obviously two of the best today so even if the draft this year is shallow, there will still be some gems. All we need to do is land one several of them.

Fixed.

I'm trying to be optimistic. If there's anything the Leafs SHOULD have an edge on any other teams, it's in the scouting department - especially in later rounds.

I'm trying to be optimistic. If there's anything the Leafs SHOULD have an edge on any other teams, it's in the scouting department - especially in later rounds.

The Jays have something like 12 picks this draft so there will be opportunities to get lucky with a late round sleeper or two.

TSN has rumors that Florida is working hard to get the first overall pick from the Oilers. They apparently may be offering Weiss or Booth AND their 3rd overall pick. How do you not take that? They have the cap space for Weiss or Booth and get some young talent that is further along in development than the rest of your roster, as well as more physical than most of their other forwards. Then being able to still take a Landeskog of Huberdeau or maybe even Larsson this year would be huge!

If true, that also means that Florida must be sold on Nugent-Hopkins as a franchise player. I also have to agree with people that Edmonton has bee creaming their pants since RN-H has been said to have "Gretzky-esque" vision. Any Gretzky comparisons in Edmonton are going to get the hype off the charts real quick.

TSN has rumors that Florida is working hard to get the first overall pick from the Oilers. They apparently may be offering Weiss or Booth AND their 3rd overall pick. How do you not take that? They have the cap space for Weiss or Booth and get some young talent that is further along in development than the rest of your roster, as well as more physical than most of their other forwards. Then being able to still take a Landeskog of Huberdeau or maybe even Larsson this year would be huge!

If true, that also means that Florida must be sold on Nugent-Hopkins as a franchise player. I also have to agree with people that Edmonton has bee creaming their pants since RN-H has been said to have "Gretzky-esque" vision. Any Gretzky comparisons in Edmonton are going to get the hype off the charts real quick.

As an Oilers fan, I'd really like to see what RNH and Taylor Hall would become. Not to mention Eberle. That line could be trouble. Although, it would be really nice to have a premier defensemen in the woodworks as well.

Any allusions to Gretzky are nonsense. Crosby was supposed to be the next Gretzky. I see a Hart and and Art Ross and a Cup for Crosby, but I don't see a fleet of them.

Taken so far:

1) EDM: F Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

2) COL: F Gabriel Landeskog

3) FLA: F Jonathan Huberdeau

4) NYJ: D Adam Larson

5) NYI: F Ryan Strome

6) OTT: F Mika Zibanejad

7) WPG: F Mark Scheifele

8) PHI: F Sean Couturier

9) BOS: D Dougie Hamilton

10) MIN: D Jonas Brodin

Edited by Gwynasyn

Kessel for Seguin and Hamilton..

Rumour: Ryan Smyth traded to Oilers for Gilbert Brule and a 4th round pick.

Edited by Gwynasyn

McNeill off the board...argh, was hoping for him to drop.

Leafs move up, here we go!!!