Bret

Wrestling

It's a form of gymnastic skill performed by a lower form of entertainers. But unfortunately, it is more than obvious that it has a predetermined outcome and therefore not worthy of and thread. :banned:

Ugh, fine. We'll do this here.

The fact that it is pre-determined is irrelevant. Also, the fact that it is what you consider "gymnastics for idiots" is proof that you're obviously never going to appreciate it for what it is.

Pro graps is essentially a television drama set in their own fictitional world, just like evry other TV show out there. In fact, people who compare it to sports are way off base, which is part of the reason I was hesitant to argue about it in this thread. If you had to compare it to anything, think soap opera. The athleticism displayed is obviously where I differ, because when you have guys taking spears while hanging off of title belts 18 feet in the air and falling to the mat, now matter how much "learning to fall" you do, it's gonna hurt.

I have huge respect for the spectacle, athelticism, and (aside from the last few years, which is just aids recently) the storytelling.

I actually prefer to watch indy wrestling such as Ring of Honor and NJPW over WWE or TNA any day.

Ugh, fine. We'll do this here.

The fact that it is pre-determined is irrelevant. Also, the fact that it is what you consider "gymnastics for idiots" is proof that you're obviously never going to appreciate it for what it is.

Pro graps is essentially a television drama set in their own fictitional world, just like evry other TV show out there. In fact, people who compare it to sports are way off base, which is part of the reason I was hesitant to argue about it in this thread. If you had to compare it to anything, think soap opera. The athleticism displayed is obviously where I differ, because when you have guys taking spears while hanging off of title belts 18 feet in the air and falling to the mat, now matter how much "learning to fall" you do, it's gonna hurt.

I have huge respect for the spectacle, athelticism, and (aside from the last few years, which is just aids recently) the storytelling.

I actually prefer to watch indy wrestling such as Ring of Honor and NJPW over WWE or TNA any day.

So, brain-dead retardation aside... it is more like extreme athleticism and gymnastics for people who'd rather watch a sweaty, 300-pound steroid freak wearing tights? hehe

We'll split this off into its own topic because there's no sense having this discussion in a thread about the death of an IndyCar driver.

I watched wrestling when I was a kid and then again briefly in 1997 when Bret Hart was doing a pro-Canada angle.

My favourite wrestler?

andre_dvd.jpg

I liked the Rock, the Undertaker, and the Ultimate Warrior. I was also a huge Shawn Michaels fan. I used to hate Bret Hart because my little brother liked him.

I like wrestling, and consider myself an avid mark.

Favourite pro graps right now (based on in ring ability, mic skills, and charisma):

Alberto-Del-Rio.jpg

Alberto Del Rio

cm_punk___best_in_the_world_by_x_mac34070-d40zvml.png

CM Punk

Wallpaper-of-The-Miz.jpg

The Miz

Cody%252520Rhodes%252520with%252520mask%252520%252528wwestalker%252529.jpg

Cody Rhodes (quickly becoming my favourite)

And, of course, my favourite all time wrestler:

goldust.jpg

The magnificent Goldust.

But, yes, wrestling was way better in the early 2000's and 90's. A lot of what's on now is garbage, especially WWE and TNA. ROH is getting better and better, though.

I actually met Bret and discovered this site through some e-feds we used to do where you'd roleplay a character and matches would be determined upon your roleplaying strength. Man, those were some fun times...

I actually met Bret and discovered this site through some e-feds we used to do where you'd roleplay a character and matches would be determined upon your roleplaying strength. Man, those were some fun times...

So who was the submissive one or were you tag teaming?

I was trying to remember those, but I don't remember any characters I was playing or anything. Must have scared me too much to remember.

Haha I was always RVD, now he was one wicked athlete. Definitely goes under gymnast, but still awesome to watch. Weren't you toad and your buddy was Mario or summin?

Haha I was always RVD, now he was one wicked athlete. Definitely goes under gymnast, but still awesome to watch. Weren't you toad and your buddy was Mario or summin?

Aahahaahahahahah! I remember that now. TWWE was the shit.

Toad's World Wrestling Entertainment.

I seriously hate the name change. It will always be the WWF to me!

Fuck the World Wildlife Fund! Go save pandas in China for all I care, but what benefit could possibly come out of forcing a wrestling promotion to change it's name? The only reason I even know the World wildlife fund exists is because of the World Wrestling Federation. Now that the name has changed your website will get 1,000,000 less accidental visits per year. Congratulations! Nobody from the new generation has a clue who you are anymore!

Edited by puffy

I used to be a huge wrestling fan when I was little. The attitude era was one hell of a good time to be a wrestling fan. Stone Cold Steve Austin is my all-time favorite.

I still am a fan and watch it on a weekly basis, but no where near what I was like when I was a kid. My current favorites are: Daniel Bryan, Mark Henry, and Kane.

Also, I really hate Randy Orton.

I used to watch it when I was about 12/13 years old. However, I actually saw some last night at a friends house, and it's just cringe worthy.

I stopped watching during the Attitude Era.

I watched a lot when I was a little kid during the Hulkamania days and a bit in '97 during the Canada/USA feud.

Haven't really watched since.

Honestly, the only reason I ever watched the WWF/E was Shawn Michaels.

Say what you want about him outside of the ring, he deserves every bit of criticism he gets on that front, but inside the ring he was fucking fantastic! The Ladder Match with Razor Ramon, the Iron Man Match, the hell in a cell with the undertaker! The list could go on forever, he has won more "Match of the Year" awards than any other wrestler!

He was controversial, but he was damn good! When you paid to see Shawn Michaels you got your moneys worth each and every time!

It's been a while now, but I still can't believe he's actually gone!

Edited by puffy

I absolutely loved the Rock. That guy made Wrestling hilarious. I used to like it more as a kid, but really only watched it later on to hear the Rock and some of the D-X stuff. My Dad took us to the London Gardens (aka the Ice House) once to watch WWF. When the undertaker came out my little brother started to cry. The undertaker looked right at me with those white eyeballs... it scared the crap out of me for weeks.

I went in 1994 because the WWF actually came to Owen Sound (first and only time, I think). Only thing I really remember about it was the sheer size of Yokozuna.