Bret

Wrestling

I absolutely loved the Rock. That guy made Wrestling hilarious. I used to like it more as a kid, but really only watched it later on to hear the Rock and some of the D-X stuff. My Dad took us to the London Gardens (aka the Ice House) once to watch WWF. When the undertaker came out my little brother started to cry. The undertaker looked right at me with those white eyeballs... it scared the crap out of me for weeks.

It's a shame all of the true legends are slowly leaving. I think this was Undertakers final Wrestlemania.

I don't know what it is about the current product, but I'm just not buying it. They don't have that x-factor the wrestlers of the past had.

Now you got the face of the company John Cena getting booed by half the crowd! People don't want PG crap, they have nothing against John Cena in general they just hate what he represents. You could have a fat and drunk Stone Cold Steve Austin come in the ring and ratings would be much better than this!

Edited by puffy

If you kids want me to school you on wrestling, just say the word.

If you kids want me to school you on wrestling, just say the word.

Go ahead sir.

The Shawn Michaels, Steve Austin, Undertaker and Rock era was superior to this one in every way. Prove me otherwise!

Competition plays a big role here. When the WCW was killing the WWF they had to come up with new ways to attract an audience. Now that the competition is gone the WWE if free to do whatever it pleases. TNA is hardly a threat so they can continue to show mediocre shit without consequences.

Look I love wrestling just as much as you, but it was so much better in the mid 90s! The current PG product is making me cry! I loved the unpredictability of the past, but now you see whats coming a mile away!

Edited by puffy

I don't disagree with you in any way. Unfortunately, there is something wrong with Creative nowadays (probably the fact that VKM has gone batshit crazy) and they tend not to follow through with good storylines.

A perfect example was the lead-up to Money in the Bank 2011. CM Punk cut an amazing shoot promo at the end of Raw one night (partly a work, mostly legit shoot) as his contract was expiring at the end of the month. In it he basically shit over the current WWE and won over smarks more than ever, as well as a lot of the marks. In this promo he basically said he was going to win the title at Money in the Bank and leave the WWE with it. I mean, obviously that part was a work, but everything else he said during it was bone-jarring for the time.

Fast forward to Money in the Bank in Chicago (CM Punk's hometown), and the hype leading up to this event was astronomical. It was making mainstream news a little bit, which is very good. CM Punk carries John Cena to the WWE's first 5-star match in 7 years, wins the title, and "leaves the WWE" as the champion. Instead of carrying through with a number of awesome scenarios, they crown the "new champion" on Raw the next night. CM Punk comes back way too early for him leaving with the title to mean anything, and the whole angle is shot.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the current talent pool is vastly superior to the WWE of the Attitude Era. The problem lies in the failed soap opera writers they have in creative instead of wrestling fans and writers.

You have your current main eventers in CM Punk, John Cena, Brock Lesnar, Chris Jericho (one of the greatest of all time). There are a few guys main eventing Smackdown who could move to Raw and main event at any time in Daniel Bryan (my favourite wrestler for the last 8 years), Sheamus, Mark Henry. You have your guys that should be main eventing but aren't in The Miz, Cody Rhodes, and Dolph Ziggler (best seller in the biz). There is also pretty legitimate enhancement talent in Ron Killings, The Big Show, Khali (puke).

There are countless others I have overlooked that could fit those categories, I'm sure. The up and coming talent on shows like NXT, FCW (folding), ROH (indy promotion), and the young guys from TNA that the WWE is sure to steal. I mean, I could go on for hours about this, but you get the picture.

Essentially, the number one problem with the WWE right now is the writing. It doesn't matter that it's PG.

Ma boi D Bryan is the greatest, by the way.

We agree to some extent Bret. I never said the talent isn't there, but the writing/marketing behind them is awful nowadays! In a "Soap Opera" atmosphere this is crucial and they aren't delivering! I just prefer the attitude era to this one.

I saw that shoot with CM Punk you are talking about and I fucking loved it! It reminded me of the good old days. What bugs me is every time they do that they go back to the regular programming and forget it ever happened! It's not a coincidence people reacted so positively to that because that's what people actually want to hear! We want swearing, we want comedy, we want humiliation! A promo is only effective is if there's shock, yet that's really hard to do with PG! Think about it, why do you remember that specific promo? Because it was epic attitude era writing. It was almost taboo for this guy to come out and accuse the biggest baby face in the company of kissing Vince McMahons ass! Why can't they stick to that? This is what makes the $$$ and thats all shareholders really care about anyway!

All DX had to do was tell us to "suck it" and it became a marketing gold mine. Their shirts flew off the shelves. Eric Bishoff said it best, "Controversy Creates Cash."!

Edited by puffy

Ma boi D Bryan is the greatest, by the way.

I love that you said that because your boy was trained by my boy. He was a student of Shawn Michaels at the Texas Wrestling Academy. His ring name was even inspired by Michaels. They both took their real first names and made it their last name.

Bryan Danielson didn't really have a choice in his ring name. Creative just didn't want him using the same name he used in the indies, so his real name as well as American Dragon was out. Apparently he didn't care at that point, so being the creative bunch that the WWE are, they called him Daniel Bryan.

YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!

Ma boi D Bryan vs. CM Punk at Over the Limit, as well as the Executive Vice-President of Talent Relations and the General Manager of both Raw and Smackdown vs. John Cena. Johnny Ace was a terrific wrestler in Japan back in the day, so ,aybe we'll finally get to see an Ace Cutter again.

Even the cheesefactor wrestling from the late 80s early 90s was better than what's going on now, and those had zero story line, and comparatively, zero talent wrestlers. The stuff guys do nowadays makes the guys from the 80s look like hacks. I remember loving Hacksaw Jim Duggan, the Ultimate Warrior, the Bushwhackers, Tatanka, Brutus the Barber Beefcake, the Hart Foundation, etc. Did anyone ever play "Raw" for SNES? What a great game that was. Also, remember Doink the Clown? hahaha

Gibby's point is almost exactly right. The fact that wrestling during the 80's was better than wrestling now is disgusting. The sole reason for that is the writing. After the Attitude Era when they pretty well did away with jobber squashes, fans have come to expect so much more. Yes, the wrestling nowadays is better, but the storytelling (at least what little of it there was in the 80's) was way better than now. It's strange, but true.

If I could have 2 hours a week of Daniel Bryan vs. CM Punk with Dolph Ziggler taking random bumps on the outside of the ring, I would watch that in a heartbeat.

And, of course, my favourite all time wrestler:

The magnificent Goldust.

Not sure if you knew of not, but WWE just fired Goldust recently.

Edited by puffy

Gibby's point is almost exactly right. The fact that wrestling during the 80's was better than wrestling now is disgusting. The sole reason for that is the writing. After the Attitude Era when they pretty well did away with jobber squashes, fans have come to expect so much more. Yes, the wrestling nowadays is better, but the storytelling (at least what little of it there was in the 80's) was way better than now. It's strange, but true.

If I could have 2 hours a week of Daniel Bryan vs. CM Punk with Dolph Ziggler taking random bumps on the outside of the ring, I would watch that in a heartbeat.

DBry vs Punk at the next PPV for the WWE title. Hell yes! I hope DBry kicks Punk's ass. He is the true "Best in the world"

The Monday Night Wars were both a blessing and a curse for wrestling. It forced them to essentially run pay-per-view calibre cards every week, and to vastly speed up the development of storylines. They did it for so long that fans then came to expect that kind of show every single time they tuned in. It made for some good TV, but at the expense of product long-term.

The great part about wrestling in the 80s and into the 90s is that they were able to take their time and really tell the story well. They were able to push their TV along by showing the lower and midcard guys, promising you that if you went to see the local house show or bought the pay-per-view, you would get to see Hulk Hogan, Andre the Giant or Randy Savage.

It is what it is. Wrestling can't go back to having Tito Santana beat the Brooklyn Brawler in 3 minutes anymore.

I think the main problem with pro wrestling today (especially WWE), is the complete lack of competition. Back during the Monday Night Wars, Vince had a serious threat in WCW. So, he had to put on his best stuff each show, he had to push the envelope and do some risky things to get the adults who were watching WCW to change the channel. And they did. Today, there is no reason for Vince to step his game up. TNA just simply isn't a threat. They have some good young talent like AJ Styles (Who knows, maybe he's old now?), but continue for the most part to push the older guys like Hogan. WWE is guilty of the same stuff. The focal point (or so it would seem) of tonight's Raw is that HHH is returning from a broken arm. Why not use the opening segment of the show to hammer home the fact that you have a big title match coming up between Punk and Bryan at the next PPV?

I guess they gotta make room for the glory hog HHH. I used to love wrestling some much, and would give anything to see it return to its glory days.

I guess they gotta make room for the glory hog HHH. I used to love wrestling some much, and would give anything to see it return to its glory days.

I never had a problem with Triple H because he was actually a damn good wrestler back in the day.

So he married Stephanie McMahon, big deal.

Let's be honest guys. A billionaire bitch bends over and seduces you, what are you gonna do? Work your ass off every day and gain nothing OR marry the bosses daughter and become part of a dynasty that wipes their ass with $50 bills.

Before you judge Paul Michael Levesque (HHH) just realize most of us would have done the exact same thing to get where he is right now.

Edited by puffy

I never had a problem with Triple H because he was actually a damn good wrestler back in the day.

So he married Stephanie McMahon, big deal.

Let's be honest guys. A billionaire bitch bends over and seduces you, what are you gonna do? Work your ass off every day and gain nothing OR marry the bosses daughter and become part of a dynasty that wipes their ass with $50 bills.

Before you judge Paul Michael Levesque (HHH) just realize most of us would have done the exact same thing to get where he is right now.

I have nothing against Paul marrying Vinnie Mac's daughter. It's just he's old now, time to step away from the ring and learn all you can from Vince while he's still alive. Vince has lost some of his touch, but the guy is still a wrestling genius. Learn all you can HHH. I'm sure you have already started learning, so just get out of the ring. If you choose to remain in the ring, (I know you will) lose to some of the younger guys to help get them over and gain (or continue) their momentum.

Another boring edition of Raw tonight. I hope the PPV on Sunday is better. Lets go DBry YES! YES! YES!

I have nothing against Paul marrying Vinnie Mac's daughter. It's just he's old now, time to step away from the ring and learn all you can from Vince while he's still alive. Vince has lost some of his touch, but the guy is still a wrestling genius. Learn all you can HHH. I'm sure you have already started learning, so just get out of the ring. If you choose to remain in the ring, (I know you will) lose to some of the younger guys to help get them over and gain (or continue) their momentum.

Another boring edition of Raw tonight. I hope the PPV on Sunday is better. Lets go DBry YES! YES! YES!

He just lost two consecutive Wrestlemanias to the Undertaker. The Clique is gone, modern day triple H is willing to Job. Just like HBK was.

That's why he became a part time performer, he realized his time was done, but he can still be an effective part of the company. Love him or hate him he can wrestle!

And seriously I'd love to stick my face in Stephanie's silicone boobs. I'd fuck her for free. The 1 billion dollars would just be an added bonus.

Edited by puffy

He just lost two consecutive Wrestlemanias to the Undertaker. The Clique is gone, modern day triple H is willing to Job. Just like HBK was.

That's why he became a part time performer, he realized his time was done, but he can still be an effective part of the company. Love him or hate him he can wrestle!

And seriously I'd love to stick my face in Stephanie's silicone boobs. I'd fuck her for free. The 1 billion dollars would just be an added bonus.

It will be interesting to see if he loses to Brock at Summerslam.

I don't know dude. Steph has had two kids now, she may have let herself go. Its been a long time since I've scowled the interwebs for some updated photos of her. I think it is time to take another look.

Edited by Dylan E

They actually have three daughters now. Triple H just can't pop a boy out.

The Divas division of the future is going to be filled with Helmsleys

HHH will not job to anyone except the Undertaker. Taker will never lose at Wrestlemania, HHH will never lose anywhere else. If you remember correctly, last year he beat CM Punk in a meaningless PPV match to blow off their feud. That's right, he beat an up and coming talent to get himself over and never once looked weak, vulnerable, or soft.

He will beat Brock Lesnar in their inevitable encounter, 95% guaranteed.

mean%20face%206.jpg

He will beat Brock Lesnar because Lesnar has been a total ass ever since he's come back.

He has already declared he will quit when his contract expires. What an ungrateful piece of shit! I hope they make Lesnar job to everyone!

Lol. Puffy got got by kayfabe.

Word is that Brock is a pretty nice guy, and very respectable. If he says he's walking when his contract expires, then fine. That's pretty standard in any job, let alone wrestling.

Word is that Brock is a pretty nice guy, and very respectable. If he says he's walking when his contract expires, then fine. That's pretty standard in any job, let alone wrestling.

I don't even know the story line to be honest. I stopped watching full-time when The heartbreak kid retired.

All I know is Brock said he will never work for the WWE again after his contract expires.

Didn't he and his wife crap all over Canada and our healthcare system due to his temper in a hopspital?

Didn't he and his wife crap all over Canada and our healthcare system due to his temper in a hopspital?

Yep. I'm not sure where Bret is getting this "Brock Lesnar is a nice guy" thing from.

Everything I've heard thus far suggests he has a pretty bad temper. He got in an argument with Vince his first day back.

Pretty easy decision for the boss. Give the win to my son in law OR an ego maniac who plans on ditching the company.

Edited by puffy