Sign in to follow this  
puffy

Ron Wilson has been FIRED!

I guess I should clarify. I can't believe they did it now. Thought for sure they'd wait until the season is over.

In that case I agree. We should have let Willy sink this ship and had a fresh start with Carlyle next season. I guess Burke feared someone else might pick him up.

I doubt this does much, but as someone else already said: watch this light a fire under the players so they go on a run to finish.... 9th.

I'm no expert on coaching and coaches, but if Carlyle can actually implement a defensive system that the players can effectively play under GOD FUCKING SPEED MR CARLYLE. It's what they've needed since the lockout. Hopefully he can handle their young players and goaltenders better as well.

I was hoping for Eakins as well, and hope we don't lose him to some other team where he'll become coach of the year.

I'm no expert on coaching and coaches, but if Carlyle can actually implement a defensive system that the players can effectively play under GOD FUCKING SPEED MR CARLYLE. It's what they've needed since the lockout. Hopefully he can handle their young players and goaltenders better as well.

I doubt it will happen. Burke hates trapping systems and that's a reason why he likes Carlyle.

So we are officially the Mighty Maple Leafs of Toronto.

We have Anaheims GM,Anaheims Coach and Anaheims Goaltending coach.

Doesn't have to be a ridiculous trap like Phoenix uses, but SOME kind of defensive system (even a trap) would be nice. The Leafs simply don't have the talent (yet) to play a purely offensive game, they NEED to play adequate defense in order to have better success.

Doesn't have to be a ridiculous trap like Phoenix uses, but SOME kind of defensive system (even a trap) would be nice. The Leafs simply don't have the talent (yet) to play a purely offensive game, they NEED to play adequate defense in order to have better success.

The only time the Ducks played even a half-assed defensively competent game under Carlyle was when he could send Pronger and Niedermayer out for 30 minutes a night.

I thought they wait till after the season. Time for a change ...too bad Allaire is not gone. I think he has done more damage to our goal tenders over his stay with the Leafs. Wilson will be with another team by next season.

Just heard the news, surely this should be made into some sort of national holiday. Hopefully there's plenty of people wanting to impress Carlyle tonight.

After watching the Canadians blank us 5-0 a few weeks ago, I knew the jig was up. Wilson did not have his players ready for Cunneyworths trap and counter attack game. As soon as everyone seen the way to beat us, it was over.

(there are two ways to beat it) One is the dump and chase but of course we don't really have the wingers for that kind of grinding game and the other is to stand behind your net and refuse to attack, in other words dump and then trap and counter attack.

Dave Farrish named Assistant Coach.

The only time the Ducks played even a half-assed defensively competent game under Carlyle was when he could send Pronger and Niedermayer out for 30 minutes a night.

Well I did say that I was no expert on coaches, and that I HOPE he institutes some kind of defensive system. :P

Is this true?

Is this true?

Not completely.

Carlyle did put together the best PK unit the Ducks have ever had and it included players you wouldn't really expect.

That 3rd line of Pahlsson-Moen-R.Neidermayer was incredible on the PK. They made the Sedins look totally irrelevant at times. Pronger and Scotty obviously helped, but he turned 3 rather "meh" players into a very impressive PK unit. Anyone who can make Rob Neidermayer look useful deserves props in my book.

One thing I've always loved about Carlyle is his honesty. He admitted he made a mistake with Lupul and got that controversy out of the way on his 1st day. Carlyle won't walk around the questions. He will tell the truth, good or bad.

I tried to imagine how the conversation between Burke and Wilson would have went, but I keep picturing a Vince McMahon "YOU'RE FIRED!"

Has anyone else noticed how many times Burke has said "Jonas Gustavsson is the only reason we even stand a chance"?

He's been saying it for almost 2 weeks now and on numerous occasions.

I realize Reimer is struggling, but they aren't giving him any reason to be confident at all.

The one thing I don't like about James is I'm not convinced he takes things as seriously as the other players. He just came off a brutal loss the other day and when they interview him he is laughing his ass off after every question. He doesn't look like he cares at all.

Edited by puffy

Randy Carlyle's first order of business: Calling up Jay Rosehill.

Of course.

If we can't score or keep them from scoring....beat them up.

So the Leafs have one call-up left for the season?

Of course.

If we can't score or keep them from scoring....beat them up.

It sends a clear message. If you want to remain a member of the Toronto Maple Leafs you have to be physical.

Even players who are considered "pussies" will be encouraged to play a phsyical in your face game from this point on.

Welcome to Randy Carlyle hockey. We will beat the living shit out of them and make them shutter at the thought of playing the Maple Leafs.

It sounds silly but it works. Noone would touch Perry or Getzlaf with a 10 foot pole because they knew Parros or Pronger would assassinate them if they did.

Once the Carlyle system is in place only the brave souls will attempt to go after Kessel or Lupul.

Edited by puffy

It sends a clear message. If you want to remain a member of the Toronto Maple Leafs you have to be physical.

Even players who are considered "pussies" will be encouraged to play a phsyical in your face game from this point on.

Welcome to Randy Carlyle hockey. We will beat the living shit out of them and make them shutter at the thought of playing the Maple Leafs.

It sounds silly but it works. Noone would touch Perry or Getzlaf with a 10 foot pole because they knew Parros or Pronger would assassinate them if they did.

Once the Carlyle system is in place only the brave souls will attempt to go after Kessel or Lupul.

You have to have players in place that can play that way, and still play "hockey" in order to justify their place in the lineup. Rosehill isn't that good. Schenn, Komi, Phaneuf can drop them...but it's not their game.

I get what you're saying and I don't necessarily disagree.....

Look at who was on the Leafs 2000-2001 team....and think about the toughness factor:

Gary Roberts

Darcy Tucker

Bryan McCabe

Chane Corson

Tie Domi

Dave Manson

Wade Belak

If anyone went after Sundin, Kaberle, Berezin, Perrault, Thomas, etc...our "character guys" would feed them their own leg. Who do we have that will play with pugnacity, beligerence, and deliver a mean knuckle sandwich, but can still play 15-20 minutes a night of quality hockey. It's a short list.

Edited by Krylian

We obviously don't have the pieces to pull it off now. Mike Brown is the only one I would consider to be a complete Randy Carlyle type player at the moment. (Not surprising since he was a Duck)

I think he's just trying to set the tone for next season. You either man up or you're gone! I'm not a fan of Rosehill, but I understand what RC is trying to do here.

Burke will obviously make the necessary changes over the summer to adjust to this new style.

Luke Schenn has that "Killer Instinct" in him, but for whatever reason he hasn't been utilizing it. I hope RC can bring out the best in him.

Edited by puffy

Luke Schenn has that "Killer Instinct" in him, but for whatever reason he hasn't been utilizing it. I hope RC can bring out the best in him.

He needs to take boxing classes, he's a decent wrestler though.

Somewhere, Carl Gunnarson's knee is aching and he doesn't know why.

I was gonna go bat shit wacko on such a stupid move, but then I remembered I want the Leafs to tank. GO TEAM ROSEHILL!