Sign in to follow this  
Jordan

Another "Next One" - Connor McDavid

McKenzie: The case for 15-year-old McDavid in the OHL

Bob McKenzie

3/8/2012 9:55:20 AM

It is not the norm to be talking about recently-turned 15-year-old hockey players on a national level, but Newmarket, Ontario teen Connor McDavid is not exactly a normal 15-year-old.

The major bantam-aged player who is playing with the Toronto Marlboro minor midgets in the Greater Toronto Hockey League is turning heads and earning rave reviews as a special talent. Ontario Hockey League scouts strongly believe if the speedy and skilled offensive centre were available in this year's OHL draft, he would clearly be the top prospect - No. 1 in an entire draft class that is one year older than him.

The same thing happened seven years ago, when John Tavares was deemed an exceptional player by the OHL and was taken first-overall by the Oshawa Generals even though he was a year younger than everyone else.

It also happened last year when towering defenceman Aaron Ekblad was deemed "exceptional" by Hockey Canada and went first overall to the Barrie Colts as an underage player.

We will find out in due course if the same thing will happen with McDavid. Hockey Canada's application for exceptional player status is a confidential process and no one will confirm or deny McDavid has applied, but the deadline for applications was Feb. 15 with any decision coming from Hockey Canada by next week at the latest.

The consensus seems to be that if McDavid applied, he's a slam dunk to get exceptional status.

Either way, based on the impact he's making on the ice this season, Connor McDavid is a name we're likely to become more familiar with.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=389764

Irish or Scottish by the looks of his name. More likely Irish.

Edited by Gwynasyn

Sounds Irish. A good Canadian boy AND a diving European? Don Cherry's head is going to explode.

Bag him. Coli and a 1st.

Irish or Scottish by the looks of his name. More likely Irish.

That was what I was driving at.... I think the only name that has more Irish in it is Patty O'Leary or Leprechaun McGuiness.

That was what I was driving at.... I think the only name that has more Irish in it is Patty O'Leary or Leprechaun McGuiness.

You know Leprechaun McGuiness? He's been my psychiatrist for nearly 5 years now.

It's the David part that got me... that's a much more common name in Scotland than it is in Ireland. I almost wonder if, since it's a surname and Mc means "son of", his ancestors way back moved to Ireland and Irishized their surname over time.

McDavid has been granted "Exceptional Status" and will almost assuredly go 1st overall to the Erie Otters.

The question remains if he will play for them or not.

Maybe they'll start him in goal?