Sign in to follow this  
foxi

Motor Sport

Just been wondering what the motor sport scene is like in Canada. Obviously there's the F1 in Montreal, but is there a lot else that goes on?

In the summer I tend to watch Elite League Speedway over here (basically bike racing around an oval dirt track) and the MotoGP at Silverstone/Donington Park.

There is, but it's not popular as in Europe.

Motorcycle racing isn't very big here in North America. There's an American Superbike series, and a smaller Canadian Superbike series, but neither get much coverage.

NASCAR is very popular in Canada. There's also a couple of sportscar series that are quite good, the Grand AM series, and the American Le Mans Series. The problem is there aren't many permanent road courses in Canada, There's usually something going on each weekend at Mosport Park outside of Toronto. But most local tracks are small oval tracks for local stock car racing.

NASCAR is very popular in Canada.

Really?

I've been a bartender for close to 8 months now and I haven't heard a customer mention NASCAR once. In fact they often ask us to change the channel when it's on. Must be a local thing.

They always ask for poker which pisses me off. I love playing the game but I don't enjoy watching it at all.

Edited by puffy

Maybe it's just the Maritime rednecks then.

I'm sure there are fans here too, but they aren't very vocal about it if they are.

The Toronto FC fans on the other hand....well you just can't get them to shut up! They are a very loud and violent bunch. If we had half their angry passion the ACC would be on fire as we speak.

Edited by puffy

I dunno, people like NASCAR out here. The Canadian Tire series comes once a year and it usually sells out. The track is right outside of Saskatoon on the highway to the town where I live and it's hell to drive on during that weekend.

I have had an uncle who used to put a car in for the local Street Stock series a few years back, but outside of Formula 1 racing I haven't been in to it at all.

Cheers for the info fellas. Bike racing is how I get my sports-fix during the summer months as the football and hockey season runs August to April, and I don't quite have a big enough appreciation of cricket.

The good thing about the smaller motor sports like Stock Car etc. is that you get more overtaking, bat shit crazy manoeuvres and general excitement than in a whole season of F1.

Just start watching baseball when you get to Canada and you'll be alright.

He is a aware the soccer(football) season is in the summer here? So just in time to see Toronto FC post another losing season.

Yeah I've been keeping an eye on TFC's results so far this year. Hopefully I'll get chance to go to a few games. And they might even win one.

I've only ever watched about an hour of baseball, and I might as well have been watching brain surgery, my knowledge of the sport is so lacking.

After nearly dying in a crash there last year, James Hinchcliffe is on the pole of the Indy 500 today.

Williams F1 announces that 18 year old Canadian Lance Stroll will drive for them in 2017. He becomes the first Canadian F1 driver since Jacques Villeneuve in 2006.

Lance Stroll finishes 3rd at Azerbaijan GP. First Canadian driver to stand on the podium since Jacques Villeneuve at the 2001 German GP.