Sign in to follow this  
Jordan

OHL Comes Down on Spitfires

“The League conducted two separate investigations led by our Director of Security and Enforcement, and in considering all the facts, I was persuaded that the Windsor Spitfires Hockey Club violated the League’s Player Benefit and Recruitment Rules and Policies. While the penalties may appear to be severe, the League and its Member Teams recognize for any such violations of our Recruitment / Benefit Rules and Policies, we must send a strong message to preserve the integrity of our League”, concluded Branch.

Spitfires fined $400,000. They lose 1st round picks in 2013, 2014 & 2016. They lose second round picks in 2015 & 2017.

For what exactly?

The implication seems to be financially enticing players to play for them.

Apparently Fowler got 200 k to leave his US scholarship to come to Windsor. He asked former 1st rd pick Austin Watson what he got for leaving a scholarship, which was nothing. Watson confronts ownership, is immediately traded, and here we are today. This is what I've heard at least from my elders.

If they were the SwallowFires this wouldn't be an issue. The word spit itself is an automatic turn off.