Bret

The Last Movie You Watched

The last few days I have been a little ill with no voice, and a bad sinus infection type thinger, so after getting home from work, instead of either going to the gym or playing some sports, I have been watching some movies that I have been meaning to get to for a few weeks/months/years.

Now, we have an "Obscure Movies That You Should Watch" thread, and I know with some of the tastes on this board (myself included), there will likely be some crossover, but in this thread let's post the last movie you watched (or even the last few) and either write a short blurb, or post the trailer for it.

Naturally, I will kick things off.

MV5BMjA5MDY0NzM2M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzI2NTA0MQ@@._V1._SY317_CR5,0,214,317_.jpg

Bicycle Thieves (1948 - Italy)

From IMDB: A poor young father in postwar-ravaged Rome who finally finds work putting up Rita Hayworth posters around town, only to have his precious bicycle stolen the first day on the job. In a light moment as the father and his young son chase after the thief, the boy attempts to relieve himself against a wall, and his father lets him know they don't have time for that. In another scene, the father tracks the thief into the kitchen of a brothel.

I enjoyed it, and thought it was really well filmed. Quite depressing and does a solid job of making you empathize with the father. The ending is probably in the top 15 or so of most heartbreaking moments in film, in my opinion.

MV5BMTk2NjMwNzY2NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjQxOTAzMQ@@._V1._SY317_CR4,0,214,317_.jpg

Lifeboat (1944 - USA)

From IMDB: In the Atlantic during WWII, a ship and a German U-boat are involved in a battle and both are sunk. The survivors from the ship gather in one of the boats. They are from a variety of backgrounds: an international journalist, a rich businessman, the radio operator, a nurse, a steward, a sailor and an engineer with communist tendencies. Trouble starts when they pull a man out of the water who turns out to be from the U-boat.

I'm a moderate Hitchcock fan, but this is one of my favourite works of his. Some of the dynamics between the characters on board were great, but you can definitely tell it was an "old school" style of film. Some of the accents were pretty poor, but the intensity of some of the dialogue was solid.

MV5BMTk3OTk2NTAyMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzAyMDIzMQ@@._V1._SY317_CR2,0,214,317_.jpg

Sophie Scholl: The Final Day (2005 - Germany)

From IMDB: The Final Days is the true story of Germany's most famous anti-Nazi heroine brought to life. Sophie Scholl is the fearless activist of the underground student resistance group, The White Rose. Using historical records of her incarceration, the film re-creates the last six days of Sophie Scholl's life: a journey from arrest to interrogation, trial and sentence in 1943 Munich. Unwavering in her convictions and loyalty to her comrades, her cross-examination by the Gestapo quickly escalates into a searing test of wills as Scholl delivers a passionate call to freedom and personal responsibility that is both haunting and timeless.

As most of you know, I'm a pretty big history fan, and historically accurate movies are like a blowjibber for my mind. This is one of them. As far as I can tell, this film stays ridiculously true to what actually happened, utilizing transcripts even, and is vying for the title of "Current Favourite Movie" of mine. Intriguing story, and shit is it told well. It has always been my belief that Germans are some of the best filmmakers in the world (Russians are close, too). This is a must watch for anyone interested in small cell resistant movements, World War Two in general, or international film.

Taxi: A Hardcore Parody

Welcome to a hardcore parody of one of the most iconic TV shows from the 80's. Catch a ride with Elaine, Louie, Bobby, Alex, Tony and even Latka in this full throttle sexually charged episode.

Batman, the new one. This doesn't need a blurb either, but I haven't seem the first 2, so this is how I saw it:

A grumpy man with a beard who I originally assumed was a bad guy (he had a beard) mopes around a big house until he's cinvinsed to fight crime again with the help of an attractive woman in a latex boiler suit. Shit goes down. Michael Cane looks concerned. Batman saves the world. The end.

Nasty Nympho Bookworms #2.

It was half decent, but nasty nympho bookworms 1 was much better.

I guess that's a common trend, the sequel is rarely better than the original.

Edited by puffy

Finally watched the Monty Python film, The Meaning of Life.

I'm assuming everybody here has seen it, so I won't give you a plot summary, I will just say that I found it very amusing. However, it left me more confused about life than I've ever been. I'm not sure if that was the goal of the film (other than to make you laugh your ass off), but that's how I feel upon viewing this film. Very well done. If you haven't seen it and like to laugh, I defiantly recommend checking this out.

Funnily enough it was pulp fiction as stated all time classic

Rushmore. It is my favorite movie of all time.

Big Wes Anderson fan. Looking forward to seeing Grand Budapest Hotel.

Same! Wes Anderson is my favorite, I have seen every single one of his movies. I love them all, he has yet to make a bad movie. So naturally, I can not wait to see GBH!!!

I caught Captain America: Winter Soldier last night and it may now be my favourite stand-alone Marvel film!

Edit: I am currently watching Wayne's World :P

Edited by marg85

My buddy saw the new Anderson flick and loved it, and he's generally not a big Wes Anderson fan, so there ya go.

I'm re-watching the land before time...

I'm re-watching the land before time...

never saw it first time round sadly, however for a nostalgia trip I downloaded Pokemon series 1 and I'm half way through that

Listen, you have GOT to see Land Before Time!

The first one was produced by Steven Speilberg, George Lucas, and Kathleen Kennedy, and is quite honestly one of the best animated movies ever made IMO.

Do it. Watch it right meow!

The first one was produced by Steven Speilberg, George Lucas, and Kathleen Kennedy, and is quite honestly one of the best animated movies ever made IMO.

i'll say meow, I can say moo heck for $20 I'll call the guy a chicken fucker

License and registration chicken fucker

Lots of it was made in Ireland. My mother worked for Don Bluth as a colourist at the time and actually has a credit at the end of the film.

I have a bunch of cells at home that I keep meaning to frame.

Just watched The World's End. Pretty solid, although Shaun of the Dead was better, and maybe even Hot Fuzz.

The sound track to worlds end is class, I would put it above hot fuzz but not as good as Shaun of the dead

Lego movie also good, my favorite will ferrel film since night at the Roxbury