Bret

The Last Movie You Watched

The Last Jedi.

Very very good.

Not a perfect movie.  There were a couple of things they did with the story and characters that I'm not sure I'm on board with yet (will need to think about it some more), and the humor didn't always land with me, but really overall those are nitpicks.  Very enjoyable.  In the conversation for my 3rd favorite Star Wars movie behind Empire and New Hope.

2 hours ago, Check Your Sources said:

I saw Coco and I loved it

Heard it's fantastic.

On 15/12/2017 at 7:27 PM, Krylian said:

The Last Jedi.

Very very good.

Not a perfect movie.  There were a couple of things they did with the story and characters that I'm not sure I'm on board with yet (will need to think about it some more), and the humor didn't always land with me, but really overall those are nitpicks.  Very enjoyable.  In the conversation for my 3rd favorite Star Wars movie behind Empire and New Hope.

I loved it as well. There was alot of solutions to problems falling in Rose and Finn's lap that I didn't really like, but overall it was exactly what I wanted and not what I expected at the same time. 

10 hours ago, Bret said:

I loved it as well. There was alot of solutions to problems falling in Rose and Finn's lap that I didn't really like, but overall it was exactly what I wanted and not what I expected at the same time. 

I thought it was great.  Though I do understand some of the backlash, not to the extent there was, it is fun arguing with people about it.  On it's own, it was an awesome movie.  Not perfect, but still awesome.

The Rise and Finn storyline I find was useless.  That was my biggest issue.

I'm pretty sure Rose and Finn were just being used to introduce arms dealers that will have an effect on the Rebellion trying to secure weapons in the next episode. 

30 minutes ago, Bret said:

I'm pretty sure Rose and Finn were just being used to introduce arms dealers that will have an effect on the Rebellion trying to secure weapons in the next episode. 

And if you want to introduce arms dealers, or that bum they brought back with them that's fine... But they could've found a lot cleaner and more meaningful way to do it I'm sure.

Saw Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri tonight. Really great movie. Really funny but also really sad at times. It balances the tone pretty well. 

Sam Rockwell is amazing in it, but everyone does a great job. 

Watched three movies yesterday...

Jumanji - Took the family and liked it more than I thought I would.  Quite fun actually.

The Disaster Artist - One of my favourites of the year.  Funny.  Had heart.  Makes you feel really had for Tommy Wiseau and gives him the end of a hero, which is all he ever wanted.

Call Me By Your Name - Very touching love story.  Timothy Chalamet was incredible and really steals this movie.  That kid is going places.

On 1/17/2018 at 0:21 AM, Check Your Sources said:

Molly's Game. I liked it a lot. I was expecting more though, being written by Aaron Sorkin.

Also his directorial debut.

Haven't seen it yet, but hopefully soon.  Hear good things.

Black Panther

Very good movie.  Characters are well flushed out.  Good backstory.  Excellent Marvel villain (maybe only behind Loki).

Only nitpicks are

1. CGI, which it is heavy in...and I did notice it in a couple of scenes, but it didn't take me out of the movie too much.

2.  Kilmonger was a great villain.  Wanted more of him.  He's in it at the beginning, does something, then disappears for like 50 minutes.  Almost forgot about him by the time he shows up again.  Movie is infinitely more interesting when he's in it.  As it should be, an interesting villain makes these types of movies so much better and grounded...especially when you can sympathize and see the villains point of view.  Then you're torn and it makes the characters and their decisions that much more captivating and interesting.

Edited by Krylian

Oscars are coming up so I am brushing up on what I missed. Shape of Water was really good but my new favourite movie of 2017 was The Florida Project.

1 hour ago, Check Your Sources said:

Oscars are coming up so I am brushing up on what I missed. Shape of Water was really good but my new favourite movie of 2017 was The Florida Project.

I liked Florida Project, but didn't love it like some others.  It captured the feeling of being a 7 year old kid so well.  That was us when we were kids (without the being disrespectful to adults).

I'm a big Three Billboards fan.  I'm hoping it takes best picture, screenplay, supporting actor and best actress.

Oh I am sure it will clean up this weekend, no question. I am just watching the outliers like the nominees for sound design, cinematography, original screenplay, etc.

Watched "I, Tonya" last night with the gf. Honestly, I don't recall this ever happening or the media surrounding it all... so I didn't have any nostalgia from it like my girlfriend seemed to have (she remembers the media coverage back 10+ years ago when it occurred).  It left me feeling confused, as if I'm not sure what I was supposed to learn from the movie. Almost felt like the film was just trying to make excuses for what happened. It was the moms fault. It was the fat idiots fault. It was the husbands fault. Not hers.

My girlfriend loved it though.

Edited by FatalFunnel

4 minutes ago, FatalFunnel said:

Watched "I, Tonya" last night with the gf. Honestly, I don't recall this ever happening or the media surrounding it all... so I didn't have any nostalgia from it like my girlfriend seemed to have (she remembers the media coverage back 10+ years ago when it occurred).  It left me feeling confused, as if I'm not sure what I was supposed to learn from the movie. Almost felt like the film was just trying to make excuses for what happened. It was the moms fault. It was the fat idiots fault. It was the husbands fault. Not hers.

My girlfriend loved it though.

You were supposed to learn that it was a complete shit show, they were all horrible people and idiots, and things got way out of hand.

This happened 24 years ago.

weird, my girlfriend and I watched it last night too. I liked it a lot. I think it's supposed to be more of a cinematic experience than an informative recantation. 

Just watched Blade Runner 2049. Holy shit, so good. Really the only "action" movie I've liked in years. Ford was surprisingly good.

Seeing Isle of Dogs this week, stoked as hell