Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ryan

Tennis Thread

157 posts in this topic

Not sure if anyone else here follows tennis but I thought I'd give it a shot.

Toronto native, and world #13, Milos Raonic has his opening match of the Australian open tonight (8:30est). Seeded 13th he opens again unseeded (world #84) Jan Hájek. Raonic has always played well at this tournament, went to the 4th round as a qualifier two years ago, good possibility he could reach the quarters or semi's, though he will likely face Roger Federer in the 4th round.

Unseeded Canadian Jesse Levine also plays tonight. Only Canadian woman is Rebecca Marino.

In b4 goats.

Anna Kornikova. The only reason I ever watched Tennis.

Milos wins his 1st round match.

I agree. Quite shaky in the first and last sets. Middle sets were pretty good though.

Service game looks good, still has lots of work to do on his returns though.

[quote name='Bret' timestamp='1358208816' post='358390']
In b4 goats.[/quote]
[img]http://www.superiorlabels.com/images/colorclipart/animal/goat/1683659.jpg[/img] Edited by Krylian

[quote name='Ryan' timestamp='1358290604' post='358593']
I agree. Quite shaky in the first and last sets. Middle sets were pretty good though.

Service game looks good, still has lots of work to do on his returns though.
[/quote]

He struggles mightily with defence of shots as you say, when he can attack with his serve and be in at the net he's at his best. I really think he could win a major soon just a gut feeling.

That would be huge for Canadian Tennis, I do feel a little bad for him as all the national pressure is on him and he is quite young.

[quote name='LeafsFanSmith' timestamp='1358294609' post='358603']
That would be huge for Canadian Tennis, I do feel a little bad for him as all the national pressure is on him and he is quite young.
[/quote]

He seems to be handling it pretty well based on his twitter activity. He does reside in Europe now, so he's not as exposed to the Canadian media as he would be living in Canada.

I do think that if/when he does win a major the pressure will become significantly greater than it is now, simply because it will put tennis back on the radar in Canada in a big way.

[quote name='Ryan' timestamp='1358295343' post='358605']
He seems to be handling it pretty well based on his twitter activity. He does reside in Europe now, so he's not as exposed to the Canadian media as he would be living in Canada.

I do think that if/when he does win a major the pressure will become significantly greater than it is now, simply because it will put tennis back on the radar in Canada in a big way.
[/quote]

True, In all honesty though he is the Major reason I follow Tennis. In some ways he already has put Canadian Tennis on the radar.

I actually like tennis, but the games take way too long.

I guess I enjoy playing it more than I like watching it.

[quote name='Puffy' timestamp='1358297821' post='358615']
I actually like tennis, but the games take way too long.

I guess I enjoy playing it more than I like watching it.
[/quote]

I agree. I like playing it more than watching it, although I'd say that about almost any sport.

Milos moves on to Round 3.

Raonic defeats world #17 Philipp Kohlschreiber in straight sets to advance to the 4th round and a date with Roger Federer.

[quote name='Ryan' timestamp='1358604217' post='359158']
Raonic defeats world #17 Philipp Kohlschreiber in straight sets to advance to the 4th round and a date with Roger Federer.
[/quote]

Federer.....never heard of him.

Raonic defeats him easily.

;)

12th ranked Canada defeats world #1 Spain in their Davis Cup tie 3-2. It's the first ever win for Canada at the highest level of the Davis Cup.

Canada plays Italy in Quarterfinal.

How does this Raonic kid rank in terms of other Canadian tennis stars of the past?

Seems like he has mad potential, could he end up being the best Canadian tennis star of all time?

[quote name='Puffy' timestamp='1359985584' post='361798']
How does this Raonic kid rank in terms of other Canadian tennis stars of the past?

Seems like he has mad potential, could he end up being the best Canadian tennis star of all time?
[/quote]

In sense he already is Canada's biggest tennis star. He's ranked 13th in the world. Which I'm pretty sure is the highest ever ranking for a Canadian Men's Singles. He's still only 22 and has lots more potential.

It's unlikely he'll ever amass the amount of hardware that Daniel Nestor has accumulated in his career. As a doubles player Nestor has won the Australian Open, US Open, Wimbledon twice and the French Open 4 times, plus an Olympic Gold to complete the career Golden Slam. Only 4 other Men's doubles, and 15 total people have won that. But obviously doubles play gets much less exposure than singles.

Canada Defeats Italy to move into the Semis for the first time in it's history. The future is bright folks.

Canada faces Serbia in the semi's. Serbia will be rolling out some guy named Djokovic.

[quote name='Ryan' timestamp='1365443215' post='370432']
Canada faces Serbia in the semi's. Serbia will be rolling out some guy named Djokovic.
[/quote]

He's a Nobody ;)

Today stands as a reminder that no matter how long a drought is, they can end at any time.

77 years.

Today stands as a reminder that no matter how long a drought is, they can end at any time.

77 years.

...except if you buy out Grabovski.