Sign in to follow this  
foxi

The Association Football Thread

Basketball equivalent of a soccer flop:

1307032146_chris_bosh_flop.gif

But soccer is obviously worse, because it happens so many times.

soccerdive.gif

wnKxpej.gif

carroll-dive-o.gif

ruOSGjo.gif

O5Vm70J.gif

9Nq2KN5.gif

Hilarious-soccer-dives-12-GIFs-coolfeed.co-12.gif

kWkm9nY.gif

And kids emulate their heroes. . .

G04MX1P.gif

Thank god I don't watch the level of the sport where these incidents occasionally happen. I'm quite proud to follow the semi-proffessional and lower level game where it dosen't happen. Like millions of other, I'm able to love the sport despite its problems. Usually by getting off my ass and going to games instead of watching them on TV.

I'll admit I don't watch Premier stuff, but I enjoy the periodic TFC game and LOVE watching the Euro and World Cup!

Though my English family is near disowning me for being a Germany supporter.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a big proponent of "all sports are good in their own way" (NASCAR excluded). In fact, I argued fiercly for that point in a different thread, but I'm just saying that soccer dives are a major drawback and cannot be compared to anything equally as ridiculous in any other sport.

I watch World Cup, Euro, Africa Cup of Nations, and other International events and enjoy them thoroughly. I also enjoy the odd MLS or Premier game, but the sport (like Foxi says) has a stigma attached to it that is going to make it a joke to many casual fans. I would say that for the most part, with regard to soccer, I'm included in that category.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a big proponent of "all sports are good in their own way" (NASCAR excluded). In fact, I argued fiercly for that point in a different thread, but I'm just saying that soccer dives are a major drawback and cannot be compared to anything equally as ridiculous in any other sport.

I watch World Cup, Euro, Africa Cup of Nations, and other International events and enjoy them thoroughly. I also enjoy the odd MLS or Premier game, but the sport (like Foxi says) has a stigma attached to it that is going to make it a joke to many casual fans. I would say that for the most part, with regard to soccer, I'm included in that category.

Problem is that the leagues dont do anything about it.

We saw the problem of flopping in the NBA a lot, so what they did was add a fine for flopping.

Now, I dont know if soccer players are different and wouldnt care for a fine, but I think they at least need to do something to punish the players that do flop.

I dont watch soccer that much, but maybe the refs should just look out for it more and not make calls, but maybe they are already do that, and if that is case, then implement a fine or something.

Edited by Mac

The things is, there's a difference between 'flopping', where's there's zero contact, which is über-rare and the player is usually shown-up and humiliated on TV, and going down easily in a tackle. Both are pretty fucking annoying, but the going down easily is a huge grey area, where going down to win the freekick or penalty can be seen as acceptable (especially in Italy, Spain etc.). It's the win at all costs mentality, and players do abuse it from time-to-time.

Fans in jolly ol' England tend to shy away from that and prefer a 'stay on your feet at all costs' approach because we don't want to see a good tackle taken out of the game. Its one reason we'll probably never win another World Cup. We love a crunching tackle. It's one of the many reasons I follow the lower tiers of the game, it's still "a man's game".

It's a different game now worldwide, and it's stigmatised, sometimes unfairly. And I'm now bored of defending it. If you don't like it, fair enough. Go back to your Wrestling Thread and leave me, Ryan and Chesterblue to chat. :D

Champions League is back, and on Sportsnet.

Celtic vs Juventus this afternoon, Real Madrid vs Man Utd tomorrow.

Don't know who I want to lose more tonight.

What was the name of the Canuck who played for England in the 2006 World Cup?

Edit: Looked it up, Owen Hargreaves.

I was in Germany during that World Cup, that's when I got interested. It helped that there was a Canadian on the team ;)

Edited by marg85

There's also Jonathan de Guzmán, from Scarborough playing in the Prem for Swansea City. However he plays his international football for the Netherlands. He's currently on 6 goals for the season.

Owen Hargreaves is a cock. Even worse than Greg Rusedski.

I can't stand United, and I don't care for Real either. Ronaldo makes me quite ill...

But I do like Iker Casillas.

There's also Jonathan de Guzmán, from Scarborough playing in the Prem for Swansea City. However he plays his international football for the Netherlands. He's currently on 6 goals for the season.

Yup! And another Scarberian, Andrew Ornoch, is back in the Netherlands playing for Telstar too.

I can't stand a lot of what Celtic stand for, and there's a lot of nasty shit within their support-base, which I detest. But part of me would be glad to see them stick one on the Itais.

Simeon Jackson plays for Norwich, and Iain Hume plays for Doncaster Rovers in League 1. And there's a number of Canadians in the Bundesliga.

Good match between Real and MU. De Gea held United in it, albeit with some akward looking moves...

david-de-gea-awesome-save.gif

He can do some odd shit de Gea. His shot stopping can be great but he's not 100% reliable. And he's definetley not solid when it comes to collecting crosses. Welbeck was/is average at very best and there's nothing special about Anderson. Utd are Giggs, Rooney and RVP.

FA Cup 5th round day! And one game that matters. Oldham vs Everton. Hopefully a repeat of when we knocked them out a few years back. It's on Sportsnet World as well I believe. C'mon Latics!

Super pumped for this game. My Facebook is full of people at the game. Everton have a full strength team out as well.

There's a decent link on first row sports as well.

Edited by foxi

Super pumped for this game. My Facebook is full of people at the game. Everton have a full strength team out as well.

There's a decent link on first row sports as well.

Which one, there's like 9 of them...