Sign in to follow this  
Krylian

2013 NHL ENTRY DRAFT

It's coming.

June 30th.

Leafs have a 1st rounder...21st I believe.

Discuss.....

i have no idea how this works, however from what i gather the team placed bottom has shotgun on the best players from im guessing uni sides, and then like picking players for school football each team has a pick until the fat kid with glasses is left, kind of like puffy in school

That's more or less right. Each team starts with 7 picks each year and has the oppurtunity to trade away picks in deals. Hence the classic "Coli and a 1st" joke.

ok so how are the youngsters graded/ranked, and are foreign players brought/traded as they aren't gonna be in the american/canadien uni's

All hockey players in the world are eligible who are of the proper age. People are often wary of taking Russians due to the transfer commitments. It's not just University/College players, but also junior hockey players (like players who were just in the Memorial Cup).

ah right can other ice hockey leagues i.e. KHL draft yank players? and what is the proper age? thanks for the help, was half expecting obnoxious answers like a link to google

Anyone who turns 18 at the latest September 15th of their draft year is eligible for the draft.

The KHL has its own (joke of a) draft and there have been teams drafting North American star players, but there's yet to be one to actually make the jump. I don't know if they've gotten their act together yet and besides, they have a whole other culture of developing their players through youth systems, like the ones you find in the european football leagues.

The prices to move up in the draft are going to be pretty steep. The 21st pick isn't going to be much of a bargaining chip, so then you're getting into guys like Rielly or Gardiner, and I don't see Nonis going down that road.

Worth pointing out, Leafs move up to 20th overall if Detroit wins tonight.

Who is MacKinnon comparable to?

I'd say Jonathan Toews with more of a scoring touch. He's a strong two-way centre with a good hockey IQ.

Just got my tickets from my ticket rep a couple days ago, so excited to attend the Draft, always something i've wanted to go to and with the Draft in NJ I finally can :D