Sign in to follow this  
chesterblue

Champions League Hockey

Me and a couple of mates are going down next Sunday to cheer on Nottingham Panthers v Lulea (Swedish) in the aforementioned topic title. I think a lot of fans who aren't Panthers fans are popping down too. I'll try and get some pictures up for you lot to see. Can Magnus or dubmarine shed any light onto Lelea?

Edited by chesterleaf

I have never learned to get the accents on letters. I had a look at that too, seen theirs two Canadian twins who ice for them. I'm hoping it's a good game. Would many Swedish make the trip over do you think? Our tickets were £18.00. I was hoping you or Magnus had seen them play at all. Just to get an insight to them, never mind.

I've never seen Luleå play live... I pretty much exclusively follow Djurgården (and they toiled in Allsvenskan (SHL-2) for the past two years), so my knowledge on the SHL isn't quite up to par. I'd be somewhat surprised if fans would make the trip... Maybe some super hard core ones, but the Champions League of hockey is still pretty much viewed as a friendly contest, I believe. It still (to me anyway) has much more of a pre-season feel to it.

I'd like to see it have a more serious feel. Like it's football counterpart, I also feel thats why it's been called Champions League. They have had a block of seats allocated to them just incase. I'm looking forward to it. I have seen a Great Britain game, but I feel this will be a higher standard than that.

Not sure how big of a deal this is in Europe, but most North Americans don't even know this tournament exists. This is the first time I've ever heard of it.

Edited by Puffy

It's a fairly new concept, I don't expect Americans to know about this, their way is the best way as far as they are concerned. The football Champions League is huge, I'd like to think this could gain the same sort of hype as that. I took a fair while for it to catch on, I feel it will be a slow process but if the KHL want some Champions League action it will raise it's profile.

It's a fairly new concept, I don't expect Americans to know about this, their way is the best way as far as they are concerned. The football Champions League is huge, I'd like to think this could gain the same sort of hype as that. I took a fair while for it to catch on, I feel it will be a slow process but if the KHL want some Champions League action it will raise it's profile.

I don't think the KHL want any part of that. They're pretty much creating their own version anyway by inviting teams from all over Europe. The Swedish Ice Hockey Federation has thus far blocked all attempts to leave the SHL and leauge system, but I don't doubt someday pretty soon a Swedish team will join the KHL.

A European wide league would be a political nightmare too, the Russians aren't held in the highest regards. Sadly sport and politics get wrapped up together. I'd like to see a Champions League style competition. As twisted and corrupt it is for football, you can't deny it's success. I'd like to see the ice hockey governing bodies take note of this, my own personal views anyway.

They play tonight against Lukko Rauma, who are a Finnish side bolstered with a couple of Canadians, a Yank, a Frenchman and a Danish, looking forward to it. Face of is 19.00 gmt. The game is most likely on wiziwig

The visitors lead 2-0 going into the first, panthers draw back to 2-2, Panthers ranked 44th out of 44 in the competition. They are only in it due to Belfast not being able to get ice time for the games from the arena.

4-2 loss to the Panthers, the visitors quality showed at the end

Well they got spanked 10-1 by the Swedes, best quality game I have been to though.

The Panthers lost this evening 6-2, a marked improvement on their last game.

I think there is a huge gulf in class between some of the sides. Some teams have players who are on more money than the entire Panthers playing staff.