Rinat Valiev

Tom Nilsson

Petter Granberg

Viktor Loov

Eric Knodel

Andrew MacWilliam

Max Everson

Garret Sparks

Played last year between the AHL and the ECHL, battling for the back up spot behind Drew MacIntyre with Chris Gibson.

He played 10 games in the ECHL with a .916 sv% and 21 games in the AHL with a .915 sv%. His AHL mark was sixth best among AHL rookie goaltenders, and third for his age or younger. He showed improvement in each of his CHL years and maintained similar numbers from his last OHL season to his first AHL season, even without playing that regularly. He's known as a good positional goaltender, more of an angles guy than an athletic one. Consistency has been a problem for him in the past, as it usually is for any prospect still developing. To improve his stock, he'll have to be more consistent and continue to improve on his ability to read the play in front of him so he can take advantage of his positional play.

He'll be the Leafs top goaltending prospect going into the season, and in the eventuality of an injury to Reimer or Bernier will probably be the one to get a call up.

For anyone wanting an excellent summary of the Leafs top prospects, look no further than PPP. Each year they rate the top 25 players under age 25.

This year's list is here:

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/toronto-maple-leafs-top-25-prospects-under-25/2014/8/12/5993331/maple-leafs-prospect-rankings-ppps-top-25-under-25

Interesting to see that Rielly is now the top-rated prospect - ahead of both Kadri and Gardiner. Was also surprised to see how high Percy was ranked (especially ahead of Finn).

I was surprised about Percy vs Finn too, but from some things I've heard since the prospect camp I'm starting to understand why. Apparently his skating is still not that great, which is something that scares me whenever I hear that said about a prospect now. Especially a defensive prospect.

Hopefully they'll have him work with Barb Underhill to get it up to par at least.

In terms of goalie prospects… I watched a bit of Bibeau from the prospect camp a few months ago. He looked OK in the footage I saw. But I was more impressed with 6'7" Jack Flinn. He looked really strong, and he has great size. However, his stats in the OHL/QJMHL have been less than mediocre. His footwork and lateral movement need some improvement.

What's the story with the Rupert twins? I think they both play for London. Any potential there?

Ryan Rupert is the more likely of the two, but his ceiling is that of a 4th liner... maybe a 3rd liner on a bad team. He's a pest with a bit of skill, but nothing about his game will blow your socks off.

Blake Kessel invited to Marlies camp.

The sister is better.

Viktor Loov will play for the Marlies.

Tyler Biggs cut from Marlies camp.

Tyler Biggs cut from Marlies camp.

Is anyone really shocked? His hockey name was Knuckles Biggs. Let's hope we don't see any more 1st round picks selected because they have size, grit, and toughness. That's the type of piece you add for the league minimum...not what you use a 1st rounder on.

Is anyone really shocked? His hockey name was Knuckles Biggs. Let's hope we don't see any more 1st round picks selected because they have size, grit, and toughness. That's the type of piece you add for the league minimum...not what you use a 1st rounder on.

Look at the players drafted around him. What an ugly draft class.

Stuart Percy may soon be the top player from the bottom 15.

That entire 2011 draft is one big tire fire.

No doubt it was a weak dratft...but I'm talking more about the philosophy of the type of player they were targeting. I'd feel better about taking a high skill guy that didn't pan out over a goon that didn't. Either way, it doesn't help the club...but it's just the approach that I hope is long gone.

Edited by Krylian

To be fair to Biggs he wasn't supposed to be a goon, at least not a goon like Colton Orr. He was supposed to be the next Milan Lucic. Except... you know... he didn't have 1/100th of Lucic's skill.

No doubt it was a weak dratft...but I'm talking more about the philosophy of the type of player they were targeting. I'd feel better about taking a high skill guy that didn't pan out over a goon that didn't. Either way, it doesn't help the club...but it's just the approach that I hope is long gone.

They took Nylander over Nick Ritchie this year. Much to Don Cherry's consternation.

You take the best player available, regardless of position or style.

They took Nylander over Nick Ritchie this year. Much to Don Cherry's consternation.

Don Cherry is consterned by anything that's not 7 feet tall, with a shock of red hair, and eyes that blaze like the sun.

And also from Mimico. Because if that's a 7-foot tall, eyes blazing Swede... might as well draft a blind midget.

Edited by Gwynasyn

Don Cherry us consterned by anything that's not 7 feet tall, with a shock of red hair, and eyes that blaze like the sun.

And also from Mimico. Because if that's a 7-foot tall, eyes blazing Swede... might as well draft a blind midget.

Consterned?

Bibeau recorded his first career AHL shutout yesterday.