Sign in to follow this  
Krylian

General 2016 NHL Draft Stuff

It's 8 months until the draft...and I think we all know the Leafs will be picking high again.

So this thread can be a library of sorts...Articles about the draft eligible guys for this year...random thoughts and commentary about players that we should keep our eye on.

Auston Matthews has played 7 games for Zurich so far this season.  6 goals and 2 assists.

Is Matthews a shoot first type guy or is he a good puck distributer as well?

Is Matthews a shoot first type guy or is he a good puck distributer as well?

Scouting Report:

A complete player with good size and tremendous offensive skills. Creates offensive plays and scoring chances every time he hits the ice. Has great movement with the puck and puckhandling skills. Smooth zone entries and shows extraordinary patience while carrying the puck, never panics when under pressure and stays calm even when pressured by multiple defenders. Is always in motion and makes it hard for defenders to neutralize him. Never quits and always hustles back when the puck is lost, shows decent defensive mind. Needs to shoot more in certain situations and could work on his physical game. However, he makes players around him better in every shift and always manages to create something in the offensive zone. Shows great understanding of the game. Auston is eligible for the Draft 2016 and expect him to be a top pick          

This is the first time I've ever seen this for the 2016 draft.  While I still strongly disagree with it, what I take out of it is that the gap is narrowing.

McKeen's Hockey, a fairly significant source in the world of the draft, has ranked Auston Matthews #2, behind Patrik Laine, in it's January rankings...

http://www.mckeenshockey.com/prospects-blog/mckeens-2016-top-30-nhl-draft-rankings-jan-2016/

An article from The Hockey Writers about Puljujarvi possibly pushing Matthews for #1.

Looks like that gap may very well be tightening.

http://thehockeywriters.com/jesse-puljujarvi-challenging-auston-matthews-for-1st-pick-in-2016-draft/

Edited by Krylian

laine, jarvi, matthews, nylander, tkachuk - I would be happy with any of them.

Those are my top 5 right now.  Chychrun is sliding.  I have him at 6 but wouldn't be surprised if he slid right out of the top 10.

The prospects game will be huge for him.

Edited by Krylian

I'd be happy with any of those guys as well, but I just get this feeling the Leafs are going to end up with the Nylander brother, even if it means drafting him ahead of where he is projected to go.

I'd be happy with any of those guys as well, but I just get this feeling the Leafs are going to end up with the Nylander brother, even if it means drafting him ahead of where he is projected to go.

That would be stupid.

I think the Top 3 won't really change.

Matthews

Fin #1

Fin #2

If the Leafs are picking 4th (for arguments sake), I still think they go with Tkachuk.  Yes, Nylander's brother is here, but Tkachuk has the London/Hunter/Marner connection.  So if you look at it that way, you might be able to consider the "connection" factor a wash.

If you look at them as just player vs. player, I'd go with Tkachuk... But I will admit that it's not by a huge margin right now.

That kind of emotional decision making is exactly what the Leafs management is trying to get away from.

If the Leafs really value bloodlines then Tkachuk at 4 and Kieffer Bellows with the Pens pick (if he's still around) would surely make them happy.

Laine's a center.

everywhere I look has him as a winger, but if he's a centre ... All the better

I can't wait until the trade deadline to see if Lou can turn some of the current roster into draft picks.

None of them will be particularly exciting. Probably more exciting will be how bad this team becomes, especially if JVR remains sidelined.

I've heard a few people thinking the Leafs to will be worse next season due to a younger, less experienced roster...Which is typical LeafsLeafs, seeing as it's a weaker draft with no true #1.

everywhere I look has him as a winger, but if he's a centre ... All the better

I always considered him a center.  I'll need to double check to see if i confused him with Puljujarvi.