shovhd

World Cup of Hockey

I don't know about you guys, but I might have a real problem pulling for Canada in this one. Normally it's just instinct, like being a leafs fan. You just start feelin it and the blood starts pumping when the game is on the line. This time I'm wondering whether I'm going to get that feeling for Canada or North America. No leafs on Canada so idk.

or maybe I'll just feel nothin.....

Edited by shovhd

2 hours ago, Check Your Sources said:

you don't feel anything because this is a glorified exhibition tournament. the spengler cup means more to me than this shit does. world cup my ass.

What? The Spengler Cup is a bullshit tournament. This is actually going to have NHL pros playing in it.  Sure some guys have pulled out of the tournament, but lots of the league's best are still reppin their countries.

It does feel like a made up tournament to fill the pockets of the NHL and NHLPA, so I don't feel the same as I do about World Championships, or Olympics.
But I'm still excited to watch hockey again.   I think I'm cheering for Team North America, as I just think they will be exciting to watch, plus Matthews and Rielly winning would be awesome.

I'm not interested in this at all.  The only thing that intrigues me a bit is that Young Stars team.  I'm curious how they stack up to the veteran teams.  Aside from that, who gives a shit.

I mean, I'll watch it when there's no baseball on, but I'm in no way invested in it. 

As for the Spengler Cup, it's actually my favourite yearly tournament aside from the juniors. The atmosphere is something else. I think I'm gonna try to go in 2017. 

Matthews will tear both ACL's on his first shift. Book it. 

5 minutes ago, Jordan said:

Matthews will tear both ACL's on his first shift. Book it. 

As long as Price does too.....

9 minutes ago, shovhd said:

As long as Price does too.....

I don't see Price getting a lot of ice time. Pretty sure Braden Holtby will in goal for most of the tournament.

Oh, I don't doubt it. I'm simply saying as of right now I haven't been caught up in the (nonexistent?) hype.

10 hours ago, gibby said:

What? The Spengler Cup is a bullshit tournament. This is actually going to have NHL pros playing in it.  Sure some guys have pulled out of the tournament, but lots of the league's best are still reppin their countries.

Yeah because Team Europe is a country, it is a bullshit tournament. It isn't IIHF sanctioned, and it's got as much credibility as Rob Ford. 

1 hour ago, chesterblue said:

Yeah because Team Europe is a country, it is a bullshit tournament. It isn't IIHF sanctioned, and it's got as much credibility as Rob Ford. 

It not being an IIHF tournament is hardly the reason this tournament is a waste of time.

Why would you give a shit if it was IIHF sanctioned or not?

12 hours ago, Bret said:

Why would you give a shit if it was IIHF sanctioned or not?

Because it's the equivalent of the MLS organising a football world cup. 

Ok maybe waste of time is the wrong phrase, however you can't call it a proper WC with only 6 sides.

Ok maybe waste of time is the wrong phrase, however you can't call it a proper WC with only 6 sides.

There's only six teams that genuinely deserve to be involved. They also don't have the time for a month long tournament and 3 years of qualifying tournaments, just to narrow it down to those six teams anyway.

Because it's the equivalent of the MLS organising a football world cup. 

How many of the worlds best players play in the MLS?  Now...how many of the worlds best players play in the NHL?

You're right to think this tournament is stupid...but your reasons for why are flawed.

OK it's the equivalent of the FA or La Liga organising a World Cup, it's not right. What is to stop the KHL having their own World Cup, the the SHL? The IIHF the governing body of the sport should be the ones who run a World Cup, but as always, America knows better.