Ryan

2016-17 General Discussion

380 posts in this topic

The Leafs are up to something for the 100th home opener tonight...

I'm guessing they'll be projecting the Jays game up on that to start at least....I know they want everyone there at 5:30, when the Jays will still be playing.

Edited by Ryan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ryan said:

The Leafs are up to something for the 100th home opener tonight...

I'm guessing they'll be projecting the Jays game up on that to start at least....I know they want everyone there at 5:30, when the Jays will still be playing.

Apparently, there's free beer during the Jays game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems Jared Cowen's grievance hearing over his buy out is tomorrow.  

If the Leafs lose they get a $3.5M cap hit for the rest of the year. They currently project to have about $800K in cap space. Salary would have to be dumped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Leafs place Milan Michalek on waivers, claim Ben Smith from Colorado. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jordan said:

Leafs place Milan Michalek on waivers, claim Ben Smith from Colorado. 

I really don't understand picking up this plug.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Alex Giniw said:

I really don't understand picking up this plug.

Better for the 4th line than Michalek...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't reference Don Cherry around Babcock:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A quick score adjusted analytics break down of the year so far:

Corsi: 54.4% (3rd)
Fenwick: 54.4% (3rd)
Shots: 55.3% (2nd)
Chances: 60.3% (2nd)

SH%: 10.3% (5th)
SV%: 88.4% (29th)
PDO: 98.7% (19th)

PP: 23.8% (9th)
PK: 80.0% (16th)

Basically they have been playing the right way, and their record should improve when the law of averages regresses to the mean.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

... Assuming the save % increases.  That one stat can single handedly kill you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Krylian said:

... Assuming the save % increases.  That one stat can single handedly kill you.

An 88 SV% is obviously far below replacement level and far below a normally sustainable level. Andersen is much better than replacement. So even if the defense doesn't improve the SV% almost certainly will improve significantly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or its a reflection of the absolutely terrible defense. The Leafs give up grade A scoring chances. I at least have some inclination to suggest the save percentage is partially dictated by the quality scoring chances they give away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Alex Giniw said:

Or its a reflection of the absolutely terrible defense. The Leafs give up grade A scoring chances. I at least have some inclination to suggest the save percentage is partially dictated by the quality scoring chances they give away.

Andersen last in the league, among starters in Zone adjusted Fenwick SV%. AdjFsv% takes into account the quality of scoring chances a goalie faces. Therefore Andersen is allowing more goals than he should be than any other starter in the league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Exactly.  Only the eye test is allowed here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a Tim Thompson gem from about a year ago.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Karri Ramo skating with the Leafs at practice....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Karri Ramo skating with the Leafs at practice....

Crap! Did they wear Andersen out already?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, shovhd said:

Crap! Did they wear Andersen out already?

Doesn't matter...Ramo isn't under contract or on a PTO. He's just there...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's still rehabbing a torn ACL, so probably just give him a chance to get on the ice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jordan said:

He's still rehabbing a torn ACL, so probably just give him a chance to get on the ice.

What's in it for the Leafs though? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If a goalie goes down the kids in the AHL arent ready.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now