Krylian

2017/2018 Maple Leafs Official Thread

Lol. Berger had an article which just absolutely has to be in jest today about the Leafs considering trading Matthews. I read like three quarters of it so I might have missed a punchline at the end or something.

Freddie's numbers in November so far...

5-1

2.29 GAA

.931 SV%

57 minutes ago, Krylian said:

Freddie's numbers in November so far...

5-1

2.29 GAA

.931 SV%

He started like a tire fire last year, too. Then was lights out.

Mirtle's article today is spot on. The overwhelming reason the leafs are winning right now is goaltending. 

What my eyes keep noticing is the leafs bottom nine does not have speed into the zone this year. Gardiner is a mess every night. It's leading to terrible games.

Last year we killed teams with speed. This year the leafs d is on its heals constantly

Edited by Alex Giniw

29 minutes ago, Alex Giniw said:

Mirtle's article today is spot on. The overwhelming reason the leafs are winning right now is goaltending. 

That's typically how teams win without their best player.

I don't disagree.  I notice, A LOT, that when breaking out of our own zone we're either cycling back multiple times before we get a full head of steam (giving the opposition lots of time to set up)...Or...our defencemen are just standing still and try a 150 ft. pass, that often leads to an icing.  We don't seem as fast as we did last season, as a whole.

Josh Leivo re-signs, 1 year extension. $925,000. 

I'm really curious about what happens with JVR, Bozak, Leo... Do any get moved before the deadline?  Are any resigned?  Are any kept for a playoff run and the allowed to walk?

What are the right moves?

Keep ‘em. Depth is king in the playoffs. Freeing up their cap hits will be a good return. 

21 minutes ago, Jordan said:

Keep ‘em. Depth is king in the playoffs. Freeing up their cap hits will be a good return. 

If the goal isn’t SCF, then move them. The leafs want the depth to last 5-10 years, not this year....

52 minutes ago, shovhd said:

If the goal isn’t SCF, then move them. The leafs want the depth to last 5-10 years, not this year....

That should be the goal. We’re past the point of shuffling off UFA’s-to-be. 

11 hours ago, Jordan said:

That should be the goal. We’re past the point of shuffling off UFA’s-to-be. 

There is some truth to that, but there also needs to be a balance between depth, and asset management.  Is there player on the Marlies that would be able to step in for any of those 3, at a fraction of the cost, in addition to netting the organizational additional asset(s)?  Don't know.  But if there is, you have to make smart asset decisions.  This organization had made retarded decisions for decades...usually in the form of moving picks and prospects when they didn't have the prospect depth to warrant it.  I think if they do have AHL depth, move guys.  The window isn't 2-3 years like some have suggested.  If you keep a stable of young talent stockpiled you can always find cheap solutions when these sorts of situations arise in the future, and allow your true core (Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Rielly) to get paid.

Further, I think you can bring is a solid vet (Boyle-type) for less than what you'll get for Bozak, or especially JVR... And I think said vet might very well be a better fit for playoff hockey.