Jordan

Game 7: Maple Leafs @ Bruins - 23 April | CBC | TSN 1050

The window to win for the Leafs just closed a bit more. Money will be tight.

27 minutes ago, Bret said:

Babs is going to have to completely reinvent how he manages ice times for next year or unless a Stanley Cup comes he is gone. 

This feels like the conversation that was had 1 year ago.

42 minutes ago, Bret said:

Babs is going to have to completely reinvent how he manages ice times for next year or unless a Stanley Cup comes he is gone. 

His management of the last two games was pathetic. 

Just now, Dylan said:

His management of the last two games was pathetic. 

I’m sure it will be all on the boys and their lack of ability to embrace the moment or some such shit.

30 minutes ago, shovhd said:

I’m sure it will be all on the boys and their lack of ability to embrace the moment or some such shit.

We have Auston Matthews and John Tavares in an elimination game. Play them. What have you got to lose?

This all comes down to two really poor goals for Freddie to let it.

The rest of the game was even and I would even give TO a slight advantage.

Rask stood on his head, Freddie did not.

End of story...…….

8 hours ago, Dylan said:

We have Auston Matthews and John Tavares in an elimination game. Play them. What have you got to lose?

That game.

....oh wait...

1 hour ago, Mats said:

This all comes down to two really poor goals for Freddie to let it.

The rest of the game was even and I would even give TO a slight advantage.

Rask stood on his head, Freddie did not.

End of story...…….

Pretty much.  Freddy was not lights out and Gardiner and Dermott were garbage.

12 hours ago, Ryan said:

Only way to eliminate the full contract is for him waive the NTC and another team take the full hit. Doubtful.

Even if he retires the cap hit remains.

What's the point of all these rules on 35+ contracts...?

It was to stop teams from tacking on retirement years to lower cap hits. 

Keep in mind, it was back when lots of players were playing past 40, thanks to PEDs and clutch & grab. 

In the cap era, you're not going to be able to have 20 top end players, so mistakes and the odd crap player are to be expected. Would things be different if Kadri was playing, fuck knows. Most likely it is time for Gardiner to move on, Hainsey can go aswell tbf. I doubt we're able to get Marleau on Robidas Island, I'd have him in the press box personally. 

We’re done with Babcock now right ? 

Thank u , next 

Just now, LBB said:

Thank u , next 

I'll save this comment for next April...

I have absolutely no confidence in Babcock. But what matters more is how Dubas constructs the roster next season.  

Shouldn't Dubas and Babcock be constructing the roster together, Babcock tells him what players he wants and Dubas tries to get them for him? As for Babcock, this guy has won the lot as a coach. I'm still with him.

I hate that Dubas has to take toys away from Babs so he doesn't mismanage this roster. 

Edited by Bret

Okay, slept on it to avoid hot takery.

Number one, the defence is just way too bad/soft to continue in its current form. As soon as the Bruins established the forecheck, it was a Chinese fire drill to avoid getting hit. But also, the forwards blowing the zone to set up a stretch pass was not helpful.

Number two, we have too many of the same type of forwards. Skill is great, but you need some guys to get to the greasy areas of the ice. Leafs create lots of shots from the outside, but how often is there somebody in front of the net or set up to get a rebound. Hyman is it. Matthews gets a shot away and Johnsson and Kapanen are nowhere near the net. There's this myth that toughness = goons, but it's just a case of needing some skilled size to get to the net and get pucks from the corners. If they didn't score off the rush or score off the point shot, it wasn't happening.

Dubas will need to be a miracle worker this offseason, first to rid the team of the Marleau deal, and to secure what the team needs with the limited amount of space there will be.

It seems like we went all-in on a style of hockey that our coach doesn't agree with and can't or won't coach that way. But it's not his fault that the defence is bad.

REAL bad.

1 hour ago, chesterblue said:

Shouldn't Dubas and Babcock be constructing the roster together, Babcock tells him what players he wants and Dubas tries to get them for him? As for Babcock, this guy has won the lot as a coach. I'm still with him.

Babcock hasn't won much in the new NHL based on speed/skill.

3 hours ago, LBB said:

Thank u , next 

He's not going anywhere, Ariana.

2 hours ago, Bret said:

I hate that Dubas has to take toys away from Babs so he doesn't mismanage this roster. 

It's those stubborn Saskatchewaners.

Carolina wins their game 7 in double overtime, San Jose comes from 3 goals down in the 3rd period to win theirs in overtime, the Leafs lose theirs 5-1. Sounds about right. 

Every time I turned to the Boston/Columbus game, Boston seemed to be in the box. Weird.