Bret

2019 Toronto Maple Leafs Offseason Thread

Dreger reporting Leafs acquire Alex Kerfoot from Colorado.

Details as yet unknown.

Kadri and Rosen and a 2020 3rd gone back for Tyson Barrie and Kerfoot and a 6th

Edited by shovhd

39 minutes ago, Jordan said:

A player of the same age,  who plays center and who had 11 fewer points and scored at a better clip in the playoffs, gets $8.45 million. 

Hopefully Marner's camp sees the light at some point soon.

But Mathews got $11.645m.  That's who he's gonna compare himself to.

Matthews plays centre and scores goals. If he is the comparable, Mitch should make no more than 10. And I would honestly say more like 9.5.

3 hours ago, eMc said:

Matthews plays centre and scores goals. If he is the comparable, Mitch should make no more than 10. And I would honestly say more like 9.5.

I agree with this. No more than 10. If he isn't happy with that then f him.

Draisaitl is at 8.5 x 8. That sounds about right for Marner....if he scores 50 goals and 105 points and play center as well as wing. If not, let him sit for a year as an example to the rest. I like Marner a lot, but ya gotta draw a line in the sand eventually. Sometimes it doesn’t pay to go last.

The more he sits and waits the more open I am to trading or allowing him to walk and he is my favourite player.

Come on, do you want to play here or not?

If you do hunker down and get a deal done. If not move on.

I have a distinct feeling his agent is a jack ass and he is just looking at what is best for his commission because Mitch has always bled blue.

9.5M for eight and sign it already.

5 hours ago, Mats said:

The more he sits and waits the more open I am to trading or allowing him to walk and he is my favourite player.

I have a distinct feeling his agent is a jack ass and he is just looking at what is best for his commission because Mitch has always bled blue.

Marner is a top player in this league, lead the team in points, is better defensively than Matthews, can work the penalty kill, and is the local idol. He deserves to get paid. 

We are also seeing a massive shift in salary structure where young stars want to be paid for their present and future value. If I was in their shoes I’d want the same thing: to be paid the value of my skill and productivity.

The NHL salary structure is overly determined by ufa free agency where people are paid for past performance while in decline. Hence why so many ufa signings are a disaster. It make sense to pay the best players during their prime, not at the end of their careers when they don’t live up to the cap hits for over half the contract.

Tavares is a prime candidate for regression in years 5-8.

Edited by Alex Giniw

2 hours ago, Mats said:

I don't want to, but I am open to moving Marner.  The haul would be tremendous and I'm a Toronto Maple Leafs fans first...no single player supersedes that.

As for his agent being a dick, yes, probably...but Marner is his own man...it's only July 3rd.  When the chips are down and the risk of missing the start of the season looms then we'll see what Marner really thinks.  The agent works for Mitch.  So Mitch can very easily step in and say, OK enough...let's get pen to paper today.  If not, then he's a true hired gun and money means more to him than we had hoped.  Still a couple of months before we have to worry about that again.

I have heard Mitch’s father has his nose in this too and not in a good way. Dubas has a little more leverage after Aho accepted the Habs OS. This will get done... just hope it’s not too messy.

3 hours ago, Alex Giniw said:

Marner is a top player in this league, lead the team in points, is better defensively than Matthews, can work the penalty kill, and is the local idle. He deserves to get paid. 

We are also seeing a massive shift in salary structure where young stars want to be paid for their present and future value. If I was in their shoes I’d want the same thing: to be paid the value of my skill and productivity.

The NHL salary structure is overly determined by ufa free agency where people are paid for past performance while in decline. Hence why so many ufa signings are a disaster. It make sense to pay the best players during their prime, not at the end of their careers when they don’t live up to the cap hits for over half the contract.

Tavares is a prime candidate for regression in years 5-8.

Alex, I agree Marner is a good player but a top player...….well I am not quite ready to say that. He is upper deck but I believe there is a level above him yet.

That said, I also think Matthews got a bit more than he deserved as well.

Both have not proven enough to attain the top money except in TO.

I hope someone offer sheets him and then we will know if he stays or if he goes.

1 hour ago, Krylian said:

They're gonna start interviewing parents before the draft to see if it's worth it.

Lmao. It seems to be getting commonplace. Mitch and Willys Dads are probably bff's.

How dare a parent want their kid to get paid what they are actually worth. 

2 minutes ago, Alex Giniw said:

How dare a parent want their kid to get paid what they are actually worth. 

Everyone has an opinion what their kid is worth.  Doesn't mean they're right.

33 minutes ago, Krylian said:

A parent would be slightly bias I feel. I know I would be. I would like to think Mitch wants to sign ASAP and that Dad/agent are in the way. 

1 hour ago, Krylian said:

It doesn’t have anything to do with right or wrong. It comes down to what someone’s interests are.

Too many people are foisting the cap crunch on Marner’s shoulders and demanding he think of the team before himself. That is management’s ambit.

His parents are perfectly within their right and responsibilities to help him make the best financial and career decisions possible for himself first. If that doesn’t align with what leafs fans or management want ... tough luck.

7 minutes ago, Alex Giniw said:

It doesn’t have anything to do with right or wrong. It comes down to what someone’s interests are.

Too many people are foisting the cap crunch on Marner’s shoulders and demanding he think of the team before himself. That is management’s ambit.

His parents are perfectly within their right and responsibilities to help him make the best financial and career decisions possible for himself first. If that doesn’t align with what leafs fans or management want ... tough luck.

Ya. Tough luck for Marner. Take a seat and use the cap space for a good rental.

I might love it if my children had wonderful pay cheques.....maybe even really large ones but that doesn't mean that my wishes are reality. The fact of the matter is that Marner is a good winger but that doesn't mean he is going to get the biggest salary in the NHL. He has the potential to be an elite player but I would not classify him that yet.

BTW, I want my children and grand children to be happy and happiness doesn't usually totally come from the size of their bank account:)

If Mitch wants to play for another team, go for it. if not be a man and hunker down and make a deal. Dragging this on hurts your team and indirectly yourself. Make a decision and act on it.

3 minutes ago, Alex Giniw said:

Trade him then.

Kapanen and Johnsson signed very reasonable contracts.

Spezza came in on a minimum.

A bunch of guys were signed to 6-digit deals.

They got Colorado to eat 50% of Barrie's contract.

They dumped Marleau and retaining nothing.

They dumped Zaitsev's 5 years for 1 year of Ceci at the same cap number.

All of these moves have Marner's extension in mind.  If you think the Leafs are lowballing him, I guess you're entitled to that opinion but I don't share it.  Now...none of us know know exactly what numbers are being discussed.  For all we know, Marner wants 9 and the Leafs are offering 8...that's possible...but I think very unlikely.  I really do believe that the Leafs are in the 9-10 area...and Marner wants 11ish.  The need to meet somewhere around 10 I think.  If not, I want Marner to find that deal elsewhere and sign an offer sheet.

The Leafs have offered 8 years at $10M.

They won't go go 4 or 5 because they don't want to walk him free agency, and they don't want his contract expiring at the same time as Matthews or Tavares.

So it will either be a bridge deal around 8.5M. Or a max contract.

7 minutes ago, Ryan said:

The Leafs have offered 8 years at $10M.

They won't go go 4 or 5 because they don't want to walk him free agency, and they don't want his contract expiring at the same time as Matthews or Tavares.

So it will either be a bridge deal around 8.5M. Or a max contract.

It won't be max.  So 3-4 years then.

26 minutes ago, Krylian said:

It won't be max.  So 3-4 years then.

4 years would walk him straight to UFA status.