Bret

2019 Toronto Maple Leafs Offseason Thread

Leafs acquire right hand D Jordan Schmaltz from St. Louis for Andreas Borgman. 

At first glance not a lot of difference between these two.

May be as simple as a lefty for a righty.

Good "change of scenery" breakout candidate.

The Leafs style of play suits his.  Offensive heavy.  Not great defensively but he's a good puck mover and he might finally show some signs of life here.

Basically tit for tat trade.

Dubas does seem to be doing a lot of work at the fringes of the roster.

3 minutes ago, Alex Giniw said:

Dubas does seem to be doing a lot of work at the fringes of the roster.

They're gonna need to really lean on these cheapies if they want to have room for Marner.

James Mirtle of The Athletic wrote on Friday that the Maple Leafs have offered Marner between just under $9 million to roughly $11 million per season on his new deal based on term. Mirtle writes that the Leafs have discussed three, six and seven-year deals with Marner’s camp, who are thought to be uninterested in the max eight-year term.“

Looks like he is trying to keep his options open, three and six year deals for him will be team/cap friendly.

1 hour ago, Jordan said:

James Mirtle of The Athletic wrote on Friday that the Maple Leafs have offered Marner between just under $9 million to roughly $11 million per season on his new deal based on term. Mirtle writes that the Leafs have discussed three, six and seven-year deals with Marner’s camp, who are thought to be uninterested in the max eight-year term.“

$11m.  Damn.  Well... That better be for 7-8 years.

OT:  Is there a rule against signing an injured player to a contract for the purpose of using his LTIR?  

8 minutes ago, Krylian said:

$11m.  Damn.  Well... That better be for 7-8 years.

OT:  Is there a rule against signing an injured player to a contract for the purpose of using his LTIR?  

The league could void the contract.

I'm so bored of this. I think I've pretty well toned all of this stuff out for the summer, which is a nice change. 

Last year with Willy I was looking for news every day, but this year has been so relaxing with just not giving a shit. Sign, don't sign, whatever. I'll see who is on the ice in October. 

2 hours ago, Bret said:

I'm so bored of this. I think I've pretty well toned all of this stuff out for the summer, which is a nice change. 

Last year with Willy I was looking for news every day, but this year has been so relaxing with just not giving a shit. Sign, don't sign, whatever. I'll see who is on the ice in October. 

The NHL should be so proud that they're doing this to fans.

2 hours ago, Jordan said:

The league could void the contract.

Figured.  But I'm sure there has to be a way around it somehow.  Sign a healthy scrub to a $10m 8 year deal and then go Tonya Harding on him.

On 8/6/2019 at 9:28 AM, Jordan said:

Now that this has been made public...Wonder when the media/fans consider Marner to be that 'spoiled brat'?

3 hours ago, F.Michael said:

Now that this has been made public...Wonder when the media/fans consider Marner to be that 'spoiled brat'?

They'll blame his representation way before they go after Mitch.

17 hours ago, Krylian said:

They'll blame his representation way before they go after Mitch.

1st Agent

2nd Dad

3rd.....Mitch?

3 hours ago, F.Michael said:

1st Agent

2nd Dad

3rd.....Mitch?

Probably.  And they'll only get to Mitch if he doesn't sign by Dec 1st.

Looks like Ceci might have a huge distraction this year. He is named in an eight million dollar lawsuit.

3 hours ago, Mats said:

Looks like Ceci might have a huge distraction this year. He is named in an eight million dollar lawsuit.

Did his lady light someone on fire by accident or something like that?

58 minutes ago, Krylian said:

Did his lady light someone on fire by accident or something like that?

Seems like it.

There's no criminality involved. This is the type of lawsuit that is usually settled pretty quietly out of court, and mostly by lawyers. Can't see it being a major distraction.

Accidentally light someone on fire? I have to hear this story. 

Fuck off, any decent judge should laugh that out of court. 

3 hours ago, chesterblue said:

Fuck off, any decent judge should laugh that out of court. 

Actually, the home owner does assume "risk" and liability for his guests.

The only irregularity here is that usually the home owner and his insurance company are sued but in the case six individuals are named including the manufacturer of the fire pit.

I don't know about you but if I am named in a lawsuit, it would bother me even if I was really not to blame.

The media is describing the incident of the young lady and it is not a nice story. I was burned a few times in my life and can tell you it is very painful.

Her scars look very real to me and if I was Cody that in itself would bother me.

Hopeful it gets resolved and everyone can get back to a good life.