Bret

2019 Toronto Maple Leafs Offseason Thread

1 hour ago, Alex Giniw said:

Sounds like his girlfriend is a dumbass.

Maybe.  But it also sounds like she just panicked when all of a sudden flames were coming out of something that she was holding, and she just tossed it away from her not thinking where exactly she was tossing it.

33 minutes ago, Krylian said:

Maybe.  But it also sounds like she just panicked when all of a sudden flames were coming out of something that she was holding, and she just tossed it away from her not thinking where exactly she was tossing it.

True...9 pm though...$5 says they were all 'tipsy'...Stoopid $hit happens.

2 hours ago, Krylian said:

I hear you and it’s a rock and a hard place split second panicked decision. Ultimately in that moment, It doesn’t seem like she was willing to take a burnt hand to save the lady’s face. It’s going to cost her.

15 hours ago, Alex Giniw said:

I hear you and it’s a rock and a hard place split second panicked decision. Ultimately in that moment, It doesn’t seem like she was willing to take a burnt hand to save the lady’s face. It’s going to cost her.

I doubt she had time to think about that.

this is an accident but since there was also large amount of alcohol involved, there was probably also a lessened amount of logical control.

There is definitely grounds for a verdict here but it is going to be nasty if it makes it to court.

The majority of lawsuits never see a judge as insurance companies settled.

Leafs apparently offered Marner 7/$77 & 8/$88-million deals in June, but Paul turned ‘em down. 

I wonder if they'll take the stance with Marner that they wouldn't take with Nylander last season?  Let him sit the season or deal him...

- "Marner wants to be a Leaf" (I'll just leave that here).

17 minutes ago, Ryan said:

If that's the stance they're taking I'm thinking it might be time to move on. Give him your best final offer, an October 1st deadline, and start exploring trade options.

If these are truly the offers that the Leafs have made, I wonder how many teams will actually be willing to offer up full market value for someone they need to tie that much money to?

46 minutes ago, Krylian said:

If these are truly the offers that the Leafs have made, I wonder how many teams will actually be willing to offer up full market value for someone they need to tie that much money to?

I would start with Philadelphia. See where they stand with Provorov.

Explore the trade route, but once 1 Oct comes he no longer plays for the Leafs in 2019-20, sit or (really good) trade only. I have to say I'm really disappointed by all this...

If we are heaping blame around - I look at the Tavares contract. If we have to choose having only one player over the next 7 years - I take Marner every time over Tavares.

2 minutes ago, Alex Giniw said:

If we are heaping blame around - I look at the Tavares contract. If we have to choose having only one player over the next 7 years - I take Marner every time over Tavares.

Yeah, Lets blame the 47 goal scorer on a very team friendly contract.

4 minutes ago, Ryan said:

That's also a center

2 hours ago, Ryan said:

If that's the stance they're taking I'm thinking it might be time to move on. Give him your best final offer, an October 1st deadline, and start exploring trade options.

Preeeeeach

It's very simple. We trade him for Seth Jones and call it a day. 

I just proposed the trade in NHL 95 and it totally worked. I had to create both players but it's legit. 

Jared for GM. 

On 2019-09-11 at 0:55 PM, Ryan said:

Sure but in 3-5 years from now - who is better - it’s Marner. Who set up so many of his Goals - Marner. Whose the only player in the Leafs top 3 Babcock trusted on both special teams - Marner.

When they signed that deal for Tavares a younger forward lost a home in the lineup.

28 minutes ago, Alex Giniw said:

Sure but in 3-5 years from now - who is better - it’s Marner. Who set up so many of his Goals - Marner. Whose the only player in the Leafs top 3 Babcock trusted on both special teams - Marner.

When they signed that deal for Tavares a younger forward lost a home in the lineup.

You might want to do a little more investigating

1 hour ago, Alex Giniw said:

You're really that worried about 3-5 years from now?  2/3 of this team will be different in 3 years.

3 hours ago, Krylian said:

You're really that worried about 3-5 years from now?  2/3 of this team will be different in 3 years.

And with the new tv deal and Seattle joining the league, the cap could be $10M or more higher than it is now.

Keep in mind once the regular season starts these long term deals will be off the table.

The prorated caphit will make it impossible to fit Marner in without shedding additional salary. 

After October 2 it's basically bridge deal or nothing. I can't see the Leafs giving more than 9 or 9.5 on a bridge. Any more than that and it's not really a bridge. It's just a three year contract.