Bret

2019 Toronto Maple Leafs Offseason Thread

D.J. Smith hired as Ottawa’s head coach. 

12 minutes ago, Jordan said:

D.J. Smith hired as Ottawa’s head coach. 

If they turn into special teams monsters, we'll know who wasn't the problem.

Friedman: Hiller also expected to depart. Leafs expected to hire Paul McFarland as assistant coach. 

1 hour ago, Jordan said:

Friedman: Hiller also expected to depart. Leafs expected to hire Paul McFarland as assistant coach. 

Good.  The Panthers had the #2 ranked PP last season.

Now let's find a top PK guy to get these guys on the right page.

Sheldon Keefe signs 2-year extension to continue coaching Marlies. 

Great news.....Babcock's replacement in waiting.

Ok Babcock lets see if you can take the Leafs to the next level

One theory I've heard for Marleau would be to wait until July 2nd, and pay his $3M signing bonus. Then trade his full contract to a cap floor team, like Ottawa or Arizona, etc, along with another pick or prospect.

That team buys out the contract, which would only cost a shade over $400k. The $6M cap hit would only be for next season. 

Marleau can then re-sign in Toronto, or San Jose or wherever else he wishes. Could give him $1.5M which is more than his base salary for next season anyway.

Leafs would save $4.75M in cap space, or the full $6.25M if he goes elsewhere. Marleau would make another $250k for waiving his NMC to facilitate it, and the other organization would get a pick/prospect for $415k.

39 minutes ago, Ryan said:

One theory I've heard for Marleau would be to wait until July 2nd, and pay his $3M signing bonus. Then trade his full contract to a cap floor team, like Ottawa or Arizona, etc, along with another pick or prospect.

That team buys out the contract, which would only cost a shade over $400k. The $6M cap hit would only be for next season. 

Marleau can then re-sign in Toronto, or San Jose or wherever else he wishes. Could give him $1.5M which is more than his base salary for next season anyway.

Leafs would save $4.75M in cap space, or the full $6.25M if he goes elsewhere. Marleau would make another $250k for waiving his NMC to facilitate it, and the other organization would get a pick/prospect for $415k.

Isn’t the buyout window closed by then?

5 hours ago, Jordan said:

Isn’t the buyout window closed by then?

You're right it is. Closes June 30th.

He would have to be traded and bought out Before July 1st. It would only cost the buying out team $416K this year and another $416K next year. But Marleau wouldn't get the $3M signing bonus. So that seems unlikely.

Could they trade his full contract to another team, then bring him back for another pick/propect with Salary retained? If it's done in the summer the other team wouldn't have to pay him any money and would only have a few million in dead cap space for one season.

7 hours ago, Ryan said:

Too convoluted.  Marleau isn't going anywhere unfortunately.

27 minutes ago, Krylian said:

Too convoluted.  Marleau isn't going anywhere unfortunately.

Happened last year. Washington traded Orpik to Colorado, Colorado bought out the last year of his contract. He resigned with Washington. That's how the Avs got Grubauer. 

Leafs trade rights to Fedor Gordeev to Minnesota for conditional 7th round pick in 2020.

Fedor Gordeeeeeeeeeeeeev

Friedman: Leafs and Zaitsev’s agent working together to find a suitable trade. 

Zaitsev has asked the Leafs for a trade for personal reasons.  Apparently they will work to accommodate him.

Leafs fans have asked the Leafs to trade Zaitsev for a couple of years now.  How come we couldn't be accommodated?

5 minutes ago, Check Your Sources said:

Like wtf, we aren't gonna get anything back for you and you don't want to be here so now we're fucked. 

Just getting that $4.5M in cap space would be huge.

I can't really imagine the Leafs pulling this trade off without taking somebody else's problem back in return.

5 minutes ago, Jordan said:

I can't really imagine the Leafs pulling this trade off without taking somebody else's problem back in return.

Unless it relieves the cap situation I'd really prefer to keep him. Who knows what could be coming back.

And he wasn't bad on a shutdown pair with Muzzin.

I think the only way to convince a team to take the whole contract without sending anything back is to include something enticing with Zaitsev. 

34 minutes ago, Jordan said:

I think the only way to convince a team to take the whole contract without sending anything back is to include something enticing with Zaitsev. 

Yep. But honestly I would rather keep Zaitzev than give up anything worthwhile enough to make this trade happen.

I'm gonna wait to see what the deal actually is before I start shitting my pants.  It's fucking Nikita Zaitsev.  He's really not worth getting that worked up over.