Bret

2019 Toronto Maple Leafs Offseason Thread

12 minutes ago, jared said:

What was owed on his deal? Six million bucks would be a lot of scratch for a late first round pick. 

$6.25 million

Expected 3 year deal for Kapanen. about $3.3M AAV.

Basically replacing Marleau with Kap for a 1st round pick and about 3 mil in cap room? I think I'm fine with it. You have to pay to fix mistakes from your past. 

Edited by Bret

3 minutes ago, Bret said:

Basically replacing Marleau with Kap for a 1st round pick and about 3 mil in cap room? I think I'm fine with it. You have to pay to fix mistakes from your past. 

I don't think they're done.

Also, the Kap deal at 3.2 to 3.4 is great. 

Leafs take F Nick Robertson from Peterborough. Said to be high energy, tenacious forward. 

3rd rounder is LD Mikko Kokkonen. Fell to them. Some mock drafts had him in late 1st round.

1 hour ago, Jordan said:

Leafs take F Nick Robertson from Peterborough. Said to be high energy, tenacious forward. 

Being 5'9" didn't help his stock.

This playoffs had reinvigorated the "big boy hockey" mentality a bit given what the Blues were able to do.

Look at how Cole Caufield slipped to the Habs.  Last year, him being 5'7" wouldn't have been that big of a deal I don't think... I'm sure 3-4 teams knocked him down a few pegs this year though.

Dreger: Leafs finalizing 4-year extension with Johnsson. $3.25-$3.5 million range. 

Marleau trade got us Kap and Mango signed. Still won’t be easy to sign Mitch and find a dman or two. 

$81.5 million upper limit. 

Big oof.

Not one pick over 6’? Not saying they can’t do well but the Blues had 8 guys over 6’3”. Dubas seems sure speed/skill wins over size/skill.

38 minutes ago, Jordan said:

If all you do is continually model yourself after whomever won the Cup, you’d be in constant rebuilding mode. 

A fucking men. 

2 hours ago, Jordan said:

$81.5 million upper limit. 

That means about $6.9M in cap space after the Kapanen and Johnsson extensions. Still deals to be made.

10 minutes ago, Ryan said:

That means about $6.9M in cap space after the Kapanen and Johnsson extensions. Still deals to be made.

Zaitsev and Brown.  Once the season starts we have Hortons LTIR for another $5m+ so that will help if we want to add in-season.

28 minutes ago, Krylian said:

Zaitsev and Brown.  Once the season starts we have Hortons LTIR for another $5m+ so that will help if we want to add in-season.

Forgot about Horton. He can also be put on off-season LTIR which allow the leafs to exceed the 10% overage allowed in the offseason.

6 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Forgot about Horton. He can also be put on off-season LTIR which allow the leafs to exceed the 10% overage allowed in the offseason.

Didn't realize that.  Thought they had to wait until the season started.

Well...that gives them a bit of breathing room.

4 hours ago, Jordan said:

If all you do is continually model yourself after whomever won the Cup, you’d be in constant rebuilding mode. 

Remember when the Habs tried to model themselves after the Bruins? Classic stuff. 

I am liking Dubas more and more. He dares to use his assets even (hopefully) late round picks to stabilise the team structure.

He has a lot more work to do but so far I give him his due.

As for the drafting of shorter players, you pick the best players that are available and develop them.

Years ago we picked huge players and none of them made it to the NHL.

11 minutes ago, Alex Giniw said:

Dubas said awhile ago that he drafts for hockey IQ. Reading the scouting report on most of the picks the reviews say that’s something they all share that’s more important than their height.

Hockey IQ is important.  But so is not getting pushed around.

Did the Leafs draft any Canadians? St Louis had 19 this year. Just my Don Cherry coming out.