Bret

2019 Toronto Maple Leafs Offseason Thread

2 hours ago, Krylian said:

Hockey IQ is important.  But so is not getting pushed around.

There's that old cliche:

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of fight in the dog.

Kadri is a good example. Takes on way bigger dudes like Thornton and Backes.  

I dont look at someone's height to judge their tenacity.

Matthews is tall. He doesn't push back much.

Edited by Alex Giniw

2 hours ago, Alex Giniw said:

There's that old cliche:

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of fight in the dog.

Kadri is a good example. Takes on way bigger dudes like Thornton and Backes.  

I dont look at someone's height to judge their tenacity.

Matthews is tall. He doesn't push back much.

I don't disagree with any of that.  Just saying that hockey IQ is great, but there's more than just that.  2nd round pick Nick Robertson is a tenacious forechecker, and we could use more of that.

This draft even more proved that Dubas is in charge.  Babcock at the end of the season talked about getting bigger and tougher, so Dubas goes out and drafts small skilled guys.  I like it.
As someone mentioned, When Hunter was in charge of the draft the Leafs were drafting huge players.  None of them have really panned out.

I’ll be happy if this pans out. Only a Cup will tell.

Don't want one cup, I want countless!

Everyone talks so fondly about Lou as GM but he left the Leafs in cap hell by signing an old vet to mega $$$ and a young unproven D for a high cap hit.

The old vet signing typical of the past sins of previous Leaf management. The D mistake was a gamble that went wrong.

I think Dubas has a plan but he isn't telling anyone. I think Marner will get signed and he will make a few more moves. However until it all falls into place it is all speculation.

His draft day solution showed guts and I like that. I had to swallow hard to lose a first rounder to get rid of the 6M+ issue but it will result in saving a few young players to our roster.

It is going to keep being interesting.

As long as the Leafs are a play off team, first rounders are not as big a loss. This move is also lotto protected in case of a Montreal style shitting of the bed.

I'm really curious what our D is going to look like to start the season.  I can't see it looking good.

I'm really starting to wonder about paying JT 11 mil the next few years. Its definitely feeling like a luxury we cant afford right now. I'd rather keep Marner than Tavares.

1 hour ago, Alex Giniw said:

I'm really starting to wonder about paying JT 11 mil the next few years. Its definitely feeling like a luxury we cant afford right now. I'd rather keep Marner than Tavares.

We are stuck with him no matter what. I would sooner have JT and Mitch and would be be happy to trade WN or Mathews as long as we got some good D coming back

Trading Matthews would be insane. He's the most important player on the team. 

54 minutes ago, Mats said:

We are stuck with him no matter what. I would sooner have JT and Mitch and would be be happy to trade WN or Mathews as long as we got some good D coming back

Trade Spectrum

(Considering depth, talent, cat hit, age)

Least valuable

Brown

Kapanan 

Nylander

Tavares

Kadri

Johnsson

Marner

Matthews 

I literally just read a forum post where someone said JT at 11 million is going to hurt us. The internet is crazy. 

I think there has gotta be a Kadri for Tyson Barrie trade we can figure out.  Kadri could be a good 2nd line centre for them.  Barrie is a puck moving RHD that we need.
Figure it out Dubas!

19 hours ago, Bret said:

I literally just read a forum post where someone said JT at 11 million is going to hurt us. The internet is crazy. 

Any 11 million $ cap hit has unfortunate consequences for depth. That's the side effect of signing star players.

When you have three 11 million dollar players you are getting into top heavy territory. Look at the balance of cap space. Top 3 players will cost more than the entire defence.

John Tavares is amazing, but would I rather have two more good top 4 defenceman than him?

Hell yes.

Leafs extend qualifying offers to Marner, Johnsson, Kapanen & Michael Carcone. 

Not qualified: Gabriel Gagne, Nicholas Baptiste, Jordan Subban, Igor Ozhiganov and Eamon McAdam.

2 hours ago, Alex Giniw said:

Any 11 million $ cap hit has unfortunate consequences for depth. That's the side effect of signing star players.

When you have three 11 million dollar players you are getting into top heavy territory. Look at the balance of cap space. Top 3 players will cost more than the entire defence.

John Tavares is amazing, but would I rather have two more good top 4 defenceman than him?

Hell yes.

People said this same stuff about Crosby and Malkin's contracts. Then they won a bunch of cups.

Same with Kane and Toews.

Edited by Bret

38 minutes ago, Bret said:

People said this same stuff about Crosby and Malkin's contracts. Then they won a bunch of cups.

Same with Kane and Toews.

Crosby could be making a lot more than he is, but doesn't because he's superstitious.

1 hour ago, Ryan said:

Crosby could be making a lot more than he is, but doesn't because he's superstitious.

Maybe Marner is superstitious too and signs a deal for an average AAV of $1.6M.

..... Or $16m.

I'm fine with giving Marner up to $11 million. If he wants more than that, tell him to fuckin beat it. 

I'm also happy paying Tavares as much as me makes. He racks up points and slows the other teams offence to a point I would guess is just as effective as some of the "top four defencemen". 

Also, what the hell do these labels even mean? A "true #1 defencemen"? How do you possibly define that or any other rank between 1 and 4? It all sounds so subjective. 

Dreger....three teams in on Marner with an offer rumoured to be 13-14 M for 4-5 years....

If so bye bye Mitch

15 minutes ago, Mats said:

Dreger....three teams in on Marner with an offer rumoured to be 13-14 M for 4-5 years....

If so bye bye Mitch

I don't believe it.

25 minutes ago, Mats said:

If so bye bye Mitch

It’s remarkable how Paul Marner/Darren Ferris are feeding this stuff to Dreger to regurgitate. 

I would suggest there’s an extreme amount of bullshit to it.

33 minutes ago, Jordan said:

It’s remarkable how Paul Marner/Darren Ferris are feeding this stuff to Dreger to regurgitate. 

I would suggest there’s an extreme amount of bullshit to it.

It's laughable to think that Marner would be the highest payed player in the league. Great player. Not McDavid.

I do not disagree with you guys

I only posted it because it was said.

I doubt anyone sends him an offer sheet.

I heard he has a 10m offer for 8 years with the Leafs (again a rumour) but if its true, take the money and enjoy the game.

We will know soon enough. Other GM's are enjoying rattling Dubas's chain here a bit and causing grief. I would too if I were them