Jump to content
Bret

2019 Toronto Maple Leafs Offseason Thread

Recommended Posts

Zhl9sv4.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like to see Ennis back but I'm guessing he gets a decent raise from someone else.

I would've punted Hainsey into the sun earlier this season but I would actually bring him back on a good number if possible.

Are we comfortable with Sparks as backup next season?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't forsee a situation where Marleau isn't Robidas Islanded or ditched to somewhere else he wants to go with a max retention. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Bret said:

I don't forsee a situation where Marleau isn't Robidas Islanded or ditched to somewhere else he wants to go with a max retention. 

If he isn't actually hurt, or can play through the injury he can, technically, prevent being sent to Robidas Island. And I don't see him waiving the NMC.

Probably just going to have swallow the cap hit on that one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Krylian said:

I'd like to see Ennis back but I'm guessing he gets a decent raise from someone else.

I would've punted Hainsey into the sun earlier this season but I would actually bring him back on a good number if possible.

Are we comfortable with Sparks as backup next season?

 

 

Anything more than about $1M for Hainsey and let him walk. 

Don't see much option other than to start training camp with Sparks next year. If the cap space is available maybe grab someone off waivers at the end of camp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Babcock: "I think we've got a couple of guys coming that will help us up front, for sure, and make us bigger up front."

I don't know who that is....

Edited by Ryan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Alex Giniw said:

They don't need more size. ugh.

Sure they could....as long as it's not JUST size that they bring.

How comfortable did the Leafs forwards get in front of Rask....not comfortable at all.  They were given ZERO opportunity to do anything in the middle.  Would be nice to see the Leafs be able to impose that kind of will on an opponent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an issue with scratching skill for size. It's not worth it for what you lose out of the lineup, in my opinion. 

ThIs is the struggle I have. Just let Petan, Moore, and Ennis play. GOAT is a waste of space. So if you get more guys like GOAT and they play instead of Moore or Petan next year you've just taken a step backwards and Babs appears to be okay with that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Bret said:

I have an issue with scratching skill for size. It's not worth it for what you lose out of the lineup, in my opinion. 

ThIs is the struggle I have. Just let Petan, Moore, and Ennis play. GOAT is a waste of space. So if you get more guys like GOAT and they play instead of Moore or Petan next year you've just taken a step backwards and Babs appears to be okay with that. 

I want much less goat...like none at all.  He's slow and doesn't play nearly physical enough for it to mean anything.  If you're gonna be an energy guy then you need to be fast, play like your ass is on fire, be strong defensively, and not take dumb penalties.  Would also help if you weren't a complete void in the offensive zone.  I can live with little offense on my 4th line but you better wear out the other team cause you forecheck like a beast and have them on their heels all the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Krylian said:

Sure they could....as long as it's not JUST size that they bring.

How comfortable did the Leafs forwards get in front of Rask....not comfortable at all.  They were given ZERO opportunity to do anything in the middle.  Would be nice to see the Leafs be able to impose that kind of will on an opponent.

I agree with you in theory. But I don't want them trading any speed for that size.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JVR a big guy who could play, sadly we let him walk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, chesterblue said:

JVR a big guy who could play, sadly we let him walk.

Good on the PP. Had to be heavily sheltered at even strength.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our PP is shite since he left..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Ryan said:

Babcock: "I think we've got a couple of guys coming that will help us up front, for sure, and make us bigger up front."

I don't know who that is....

The Russian isn’t small. Not huge, but not small.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Willy hasn't been played with optimal linemates all year. Why bother trading him when his value is tanked because of the Brown Marleau anchor? 

Plus, when he's utilised properly no one will want him gone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Matthews and Nylander will be together again next season and I think Johnsson is the third guy on that line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bret said:

Willy hasn't been played with optimal linemates all year. Why bother trading him when his value is tanked because of the Brown Marleau anchor? 

Plus, when he's utilised properly no one will want him gone. 

And if he gets to the level we all believe he can get to his contract will be amazing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nylander is too young and talented to give up on now. Still have to try and get him to up his compete level consistently.

I think a forward will be traded for right handed dman to play with Rielly. One of Johnsson, Kapanen or Kadri I think. 

Gotta address the special teams. PP and PK need to be better. 

And obviously have to make everything fit under the cap. Brown probably goes and maybe Zaitsev. I wish Marleau would fuck off, but he said he's still searching for a cup, so I guess he's here to stay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Mac said:

Nylander is too young and talented to give up on now. Still have to try and get him to up his compete level consistently.

I think a forward will be traded for right handed dman to play with Rielly. One of Johnsson, Kapanen or Kadri I think. 

Gotta address the special teams. PP and PK need to be better. 

And obviously have to make everything fit under the cap. Brown probably goes and maybe Zaitsev. I wish Marleau would fuck off, but he said he's still searching for a cup, so I guess he's here to stay.

Brown would be easy to move.

How movable is Zaitsev and would we have to retain salary?  Don't really want to do that...we're still going to be paying for Kessel for a few years yet.

Moving Marleau would open up so many possibilities but I just don't see him being amenable to leaving...plus we'd likely have to eat salary and that would be spread out over a couple of years if I'm not mistaken.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Krylian said:

Brown would be easy to move.

How movable is Zaitsev and would we have to retain salary?  Don't really want to do that...we're still going to be paying for Kessel for a few years yet.

Moving Marleau would open up so many possibilities but I just don't see him being amenable to leaving...plus we'd likely have to eat salary and that would be spread out over a couple of years if I'm not mistaken.

Idk about zaitsev. I thought he was solid in the playoffs. I think there may be a couple GM's out there that value him as a shutdown guy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only position we can afford to subtract from is right wing. Kapanen and Brown are our ideal trade bait. Both should be gone to realign our depth. We need two top 6 on each wing. We need Kadri and another 3rd line quality centre in the fold for injuries.

 

Hyman Tavares Marner

Johnsson Matthews Nylander

 

That's the top 6 we need to bank on.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't forget about Jeremy Bracco.  He's had an excellent season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Krylian said:

Don't forget about Jeremy Bracco.  He's had an excellent season.

I'm thinking he starts at 3rd line RW with Kadri.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×