Bret

2019 Toronto Maple Leafs Offseason Thread

Zhl9sv4.png

I'd like to see Ennis back but I'm guessing he gets a decent raise from someone else.

I would've punted Hainsey into the sun earlier this season but I would actually bring him back on a good number if possible.

Are we comfortable with Sparks as backup next season?

I don't forsee a situation where Marleau isn't Robidas Islanded or ditched to somewhere else he wants to go with a max retention. 

12 minutes ago, Bret said:

I don't forsee a situation where Marleau isn't Robidas Islanded or ditched to somewhere else he wants to go with a max retention. 

If he isn't actually hurt, or can play through the injury he can, technically, prevent being sent to Robidas Island. And I don't see him waiving the NMC.

Probably just going to have swallow the cap hit on that one.

28 minutes ago, Krylian said:

I'd like to see Ennis back but I'm guessing he gets a decent raise from someone else.

I would've punted Hainsey into the sun earlier this season but I would actually bring him back on a good number if possible.

Are we comfortable with Sparks as backup next season?

Anything more than about $1M for Hainsey and let him walk. 

Don't see much option other than to start training camp with Sparks next year. If the cap space is available maybe grab someone off waivers at the end of camp.

Babcock: "I think we've got a couple of guys coming that will help us up front, for sure, and make us bigger up front."

I don't know who that is....

Edited by Ryan

2 hours ago, Alex Giniw said:

They don't need more size. ugh.

Sure they could....as long as it's not JUST size that they bring.

How comfortable did the Leafs forwards get in front of Rask....not comfortable at all.  They were given ZERO opportunity to do anything in the middle.  Would be nice to see the Leafs be able to impose that kind of will on an opponent.

I have an issue with scratching skill for size. It's not worth it for what you lose out of the lineup, in my opinion. 

ThIs is the struggle I have. Just let Petan, Moore, and Ennis play. GOAT is a waste of space. So if you get more guys like GOAT and they play instead of Moore or Petan next year you've just taken a step backwards and Babs appears to be okay with that. 

22 minutes ago, Bret said:

I have an issue with scratching skill for size. It's not worth it for what you lose out of the lineup, in my opinion. 

ThIs is the struggle I have. Just let Petan, Moore, and Ennis play. GOAT is a waste of space. So if you get more guys like GOAT and they play instead of Moore or Petan next year you've just taken a step backwards and Babs appears to be okay with that. 

I want much less goat...like none at all.  He's slow and doesn't play nearly physical enough for it to mean anything.  If you're gonna be an energy guy then you need to be fast, play like your ass is on fire, be strong defensively, and not take dumb penalties.  Would also help if you weren't a complete void in the offensive zone.  I can live with little offense on my 4th line but you better wear out the other team cause you forecheck like a beast and have them on their heels all the time.

4 hours ago, Krylian said:

Sure they could....as long as it's not JUST size that they bring.

How comfortable did the Leafs forwards get in front of Rask....not comfortable at all.  They were given ZERO opportunity to do anything in the middle.  Would be nice to see the Leafs be able to impose that kind of will on an opponent.

I agree with you in theory. But I don't want them trading any speed for that size.

JVR a big guy who could play, sadly we let him walk.

4 minutes ago, chesterblue said:

JVR a big guy who could play, sadly we let him walk.

Good on the PP. Had to be heavily sheltered at even strength.

Our PP is shite since he left..

14 hours ago, Ryan said:

Babcock: "I think we've got a couple of guys coming that will help us up front, for sure, and make us bigger up front."

I don't know who that is....

The Russian isn’t small. Not huge, but not small.  

Willy hasn't been played with optimal linemates all year. Why bother trading him when his value is tanked because of the Brown Marleau anchor? 

Plus, when he's utilised properly no one will want him gone. 

Matthews and Nylander will be together again next season and I think Johnsson is the third guy on that line.

1 hour ago, Bret said:

Willy hasn't been played with optimal linemates all year. Why bother trading him when his value is tanked because of the Brown Marleau anchor? 

Plus, when he's utilised properly no one will want him gone. 

And if he gets to the level we all believe he can get to his contract will be amazing.

Nylander is too young and talented to give up on now. Still have to try and get him to up his compete level consistently.

I think a forward will be traded for right handed dman to play with Rielly. One of Johnsson, Kapanen or Kadri I think. 

Gotta address the special teams. PP and PK need to be better. 

And obviously have to make everything fit under the cap. Brown probably goes and maybe Zaitsev. I wish Marleau would fuck off, but he said he's still searching for a cup, so I guess he's here to stay.

10 minutes ago, Mac said:

Nylander is too young and talented to give up on now. Still have to try and get him to up his compete level consistently.

I think a forward will be traded for right handed dman to play with Rielly. One of Johnsson, Kapanen or Kadri I think. 

Gotta address the special teams. PP and PK need to be better. 

And obviously have to make everything fit under the cap. Brown probably goes and maybe Zaitsev. I wish Marleau would fuck off, but he said he's still searching for a cup, so I guess he's here to stay.

Brown would be easy to move.

How movable is Zaitsev and would we have to retain salary?  Don't really want to do that...we're still going to be paying for Kessel for a few years yet.

Moving Marleau would open up so many possibilities but I just don't see him being amenable to leaving...plus we'd likely have to eat salary and that would be spread out over a couple of years if I'm not mistaken.

24 minutes ago, Krylian said:

Brown would be easy to move.

How movable is Zaitsev and would we have to retain salary?  Don't really want to do that...we're still going to be paying for Kessel for a few years yet.

Moving Marleau would open up so many possibilities but I just don't see him being amenable to leaving...plus we'd likely have to eat salary and that would be spread out over a couple of years if I'm not mistaken.

Idk about zaitsev. I thought he was solid in the playoffs. I think there may be a couple GM's out there that value him as a shutdown guy. 

The only position we can afford to subtract from is right wing. Kapanen and Brown are our ideal trade bait. Both should be gone to realign our depth. We need two top 6 on each wing. We need Kadri and another 3rd line quality centre in the fold for injuries.

Hyman Tavares Marner

Johnsson Matthews Nylander

That's the top 6 we need to bank on.

Don't forget about Jeremy Bracco.  He's had an excellent season.

5 minutes ago, Krylian said:

Don't forget about Jeremy Bracco.  He's had an excellent season.

I'm thinking he starts at 3rd line RW with Kadri.