Check Your Sources

topic for discussion: Babcock / Keefe / Leafs

Disclaimer: I am not on the "fire babcock" team, by any means. I think that's knee-jerk ridiculous even if currently our GM and Coach are clearly not on the same page. This can be an easy fix, if Babs is willing to slightly set aside his stubbornness or whatever the hell is making him adverse to this new (to us) style of hockey Dubas is trying to build this team around.

BUT, my question is this:

If Babcock WERE for some ridiculous reason to longer be the coach of the Maple Leafs, is Sheldon Keefe really ready to make that step up? I only follow the Marlies loosely, and it's hard to compare and know whether or not a Coach can compete at a higher level like that. Jon Cooper is a good example of a success story in this regard, and I know in all 4 major sports there is a culture of not really letting new guys step in, rather castoffs from different teams get hired simply because of big-league experience. 

Do people think Keefe hypothetically COULD realistically coach the Leafs to greater success than Babcock? He does know these players quite well, but do people think he is a good enough coach to translate success at the highest level?

Just curious what people think.

Pretty sure they’ll see how or if Babs adapts next season. Keefe does look steady behind the bench of the Marlies.

Look at Berube and Brindamour. They look pretty good right now as relatively new bench bosses. Montgomery from Dallas? Babs is a good coach. I’m not sure he’s a great motivator?

I remember the outrage when the Leafs let Dallas Eakins go. The next great coach. 

Ya never know I guess how good a coach can be unless you put him behind the bench of your team. I don’t see MB moved for another season.

Dubas took too much blame for them to can The Cock.  When he stops taking the blame for everything, that's when Babcock should start sweating.

2 hours ago, Krylian said:

Dubas took too much blame for them to can The Cock.  When he stops taking the blame for everything, that's when Babcock should start sweating.

Dubas took the blame because that is what a responsible executive does. I have a great deal of respect for the man especially after he took one for the rest of the team.

While I think Babcock is a good coach, he really dropped in my respect category with his post - season antics.

I want to see some contriteness and some acknowledgement that maybe he took could have tried some things differently...…..like perhaps playing his best players in the late part of a game seven when you are down. That would be a novel move and maybe just maybe a player like Marner, Matthews or Traveres might have brought them back from the dead.

I understand why Dubas did what he did.  It was the right move.  As far as Babs goes, I think his reputation and resume has afforded him more time.  If this was a coach without a lot of past experience I think he'd very likely be on the chopping block, but Babs is going to get another season at least.

17 hours ago, Krylian said:

I understand why Dubas did what he did.  It was the right move.  As far as Babs goes, I think his reputation and resume has afforded him more time.  If this was a coach without a lot of past experience I think he'd very likely be on the chopping block, but Babs is going to get another season at least.

I didn't say Babcock would be terminated but I am saying he is starting to get a bit of a stink to him.

I just wonder if he wants to move on because any losing coach expresses some remorse but not him.

Just makes you wonder

Edited by Mats

1 hour ago, Mats said:

I didn't say Babcock would be terminated but I am saying he is starting to get a bit of a stink to him.

I just wonder if he wants to move on because any losing coach expresses some remorse but not him.

Just makes you wonder

What he says publicly and privately can be entirely two different things. And usually are.

I have no reason to believe he won't be given one more year to adapt. And I expect Dubas to take more toys away.

Why would Dubas take away players from Babcock? This I can't grasp, surely Babcock tells him the players he wants/or targets As Bs Cs and Dubas then works to sign them. Sounds like Dubas signs players and tells Babs to get on with it.

1 hour ago, chesterblue said:

Why would Dubas take away players from Babcock? This I can't grasp, surely Babcock tells him the players he wants/or targets As Bs Cs and Dubas then works to sign them. Sounds like Dubas signs players and tells Babs to get on with it.

I'm suggesting he'll take away the players that Babcock plays disproportionately, such as Hainsey. That type of situation is easy, because Hainsey is a UFA and they can simply not re-sign him. Harder with a guy like Marleau because he's not going anywhere and Babcock loves him. That's where Babcock adapting has to come in. One would hope Babcock's exit interview involved an awful lot of that type of talk.

Dubas acquires the players, with or without input from Babcock, but likely with input from everybody involved with player personnel. How they get used is up to Babcock and the coaching staff.

TSN Bobby Mac confirms Babcock will return. 

1 hour ago, Jordan said:

TSN Bobby Mac confirms Babcock will return. 

This should be a surprise to no one.

Yeah there was never any doubt about this.

My question was mostly a hypothetical scenario in which we fail as miserably next season. My main focus was Sheldon Keefe and whether or not he is a suitable replacement IF Babs is somehow no longer the Coach in the near future.