15 minutes ago, chesterblue said:

Didn't deserve to win then did they.

And the team with zero shots did?

Just now, Krylian said:

And the team with zero shots did?

Might as well skipped the game and just flip a coin.

2 minutes ago, shovhd said:

Might as well skipped the game and just flip a coin.

OR just play until someone scores...whether that takes 5 minutes or 5 hours.  The team that wants it more will score.  Stop determining the winner of a team sport with an individual skill competition.

1 minute ago, Krylian said:

OR just play until someone scores...whether that takes 5 minutes or 5 hours.  The team that wants it more will score.  Stop determining the winner of a team sport with an individual skill competition.

That was kinda my point...

3 minutes ago, shovhd said:

That was kinda my point...

I know.  I'm just spelling it out cause I feel strongly about it.

Tbf we used to have replays, FA Cup final ends in a draw, full game gets replayed.

13 minutes ago, chesterblue said:

Tbf we used to have replays, FA Cup final ends in a draw, full game gets replayed.

Why replay is when you can just keep going until someone wins.  Introduce stamina to the game.

The game would be reduced to players walking. We're only allowed to make 3 substitutions. Plus I guess it would fuck over TV scheduling too. If you have played hard enough for 90 minutes, especially as a CM you're knackered. 

19 minutes ago, chesterblue said:

The game would be reduced to players walking. We're only allowed to make 3 substitutions. Plus I guess it would fuck over TV scheduling too. If you have played hard enough for 90 minutes, especially as a CM you're knackered. 

That's the point.  It comes to the point where sheer will takes over.  I want to see who can keep going when your body wants to stop.  It's supposed to be hard.

Hockey players, do 30 seconds and get to the bench and rest. As much as I love ice hockey some players only do 8 minutes out of 60.

Footballers can't rest depending on your position too it is hard to find that recovery time too, to make another bursting run forward. 

6 hours ago, Krylian said:

Correct

Fuck 'em

On 4/21/2020 at 4:09 PM, chesterblue said:

Hockey players, do 30 seconds and get to the bench and rest. As much as I love ice hockey some players only do 8 minutes out of 60.

Footballers can't rest depending on your position too it is hard to find that recovery time too, to make another bursting run forward. 

You clearly have never played ice hockey or skated intensely. After 30 seconds of hard skating, most people are winded. The average NHL shift length is probably in the 30-45 second range. Those guys are PEAK athletes. In beer leagues, some guys will stretch a shift out for a couple of minutes. It becomes quite clear that they shouldn't be out there, as they can't keep up with the play or join a rush.

It's not a cliche to say "keep the legs fresh," but it actually means "keep the lungs fresh."

I play and I do skate. I am fully aware of how it feels staying on the ice too long. That is why I make sure I don't. Footballers are also peak athletes. Now what I am saying is the game of ice hockey is designed to be attack attack attack. You can't waste time, you can't sling the puck to the other end from yours. You can't keep possession away like you can in football by passing it around your defence and midfield. 

Ice hockey players can get to the bench make the change and get fresh. Footballers can't.

Now think of that winded feeling as you have busted a gut to get forward with the play in football, you didn't even receive the ball as the passer made a different option, and now their defence has it and sprung a counter attack. Now you have to sprint back and defend, you want to get off for a change. You can't. A football pitch is bigger than a rink. No ad breaks and 1 15 minute rest between two halves of 45 minutes. 

Admittedly ice hockey is a tougher sport, and with the NHL the schedule is too. I personally believe footballers are pansies. However the fact some 4 line grinders only play 8 minutes out of 60 spread out over a 2 and a half hour period (ad breaks, ice cuts) You can't really say much.

Edited by chesterblue

French football leagues 1 and 2 will not resume this season.

Leaked memo on draft lottery indicates NHL proposing to use previous draft lottery format, in which winning team moves up five spots. 

It would mean Detroit would go from 19% chance to pick 1st overall, up to 57%. 

11 minutes ago, Jordan said:

Leaked memo on draft lottery indicates NHL proposing to use previous draft lottery format, in which winning team moves up five spots. 

It would mean Detroit would go from 19% chance to pick 1st overall, up to 57%. 

The explanation is they're planning on doing the lottery, continuing the regular season and then playoffs. And they're afraid of a bubble team winnig the lottery, making the playoffs, and then winning the cup.

Pretty tenuous explanation in my opinion.

Maybe they should come up with a better plan then. Or cancel this NHL season. It's shit or get off the pot time.

Cancel the season. Its done.

There's no way Bettman doesn't award a Cup to one of his beloved American franchises for this season.

Even if he does so in some ridiculous nonsensical way. Like, the team with the highest combined jersey numbers is the champion. 

He must be weeping everyday the league doesn't reopen. No hockey in the desert! The horror!

Don't worry, little gary, the Canadian markets will keep your warm-climate hockey teams in business, like we always have. 

Normally I'd agree 100 percent with this cynical line of thinking, but Los Angeles was the 6th most profitable NHL team last year, ahead of Vancouver, Edmonton, Ottawa, Calgary, and Winnipeg. 

In fact, Calgary, Ottawa, and Winnipeg weren't even in the top half. 

Obviously Toronto and Montreal were 2 and 3 respectively, and Vancouver was 9th. So yeah, weird argument to make. 

I guess he needs to...

...check his sources...

Horatio Caine (@HoratioxCaine) | Twitter

It would seem that IF the NHL resumes, all indications point to 24-team tournament.

I figure this has to be the time the Leafs pull it off, because it would have to be some far-fetched tournament so people can call into question the legitimacy of it all.

It would seem that IF the NHL resumes, all indications point to 24-team tournament.

I figure this has to be the time the Leafs pull it off, because it would have to be some far-fetched tournament so people can call into question the legitimacy of it all.

At this point, it really doesn't matter who wins the Cup for the legitimacy of it to be questioned by fans of 30 other teams.

Edited by gibby

I’d still take it.