Sign in to follow this  
Jordan

Leafs to trade Zaitsev to Ottawa

According to Sens fans his issue was that he's naturally an offensive defenseman who was pressed into a shut down role. Pretty similar to the way Zaitsev was here.

If Babs plans on keeping him in a shutdown role I can't see it working out any better than Zaitsev. If they hope to use him to fill the offensive gap left by Gardiner until Liljegren/Sandin are ready, than maybe this could work.

Play him with Muzzin & set him free. 

19 minutes ago, Jordan said:

Play him with Muzzin & set him free. 

Unless he turns into the player many thought he could be when drafted.

I don’t get how this deal makes us better for this season. Hoping something bigger in the works. Every move Leafs have made with Spezza,Shore,Agostino have me wondering wtf Dubas is doing.

I mean, it's been explained multiple times. I don't know what's not to understand. You have to get out from under that contract and now we are. 

35 minutes ago, TMan said:

I don’t get how this deal makes us better for this season. Hoping something bigger in the works. Every move Leafs have made with Spezza,Shore,Agostino have me wondering wtf Dubas is doing.

What's confusing?

Salary cap drives everything

35 minutes ago, TMan said:

He can’t do anything significant until he knows how much Marner is making. 

3 hours ago, Bret said:

I mean, it's been explained multiple times. I don't know what's not to understand. You have to get out from under that contract and now we are. 

We’re still on the hook for the same amount with Ceci for this season. Next season Ceci will want more than Zaitsev so unless he’s traded for another cheaper dman I don’t see how this improves the defence. 

2 hours ago, TMan said:

We’re still on the hook for the same amount with Ceci for this season. Next season Ceci will want more than Zaitsev so unless he’s traded for another cheaper dman I don’t see how this improves the defence. 

Addition by subtraction. It frees up cap space long term. 

Just hope that the money saved by this deal goes into a Defenceman and not our boy Mitch! So we suffer thru another season of a so so defence or does Kadri or Nylander need to go?

See ya Kadri. Guess we got our dman.

Kerfoot is an RFA with arbitration rights and will get $3M+. Barrie is UFA after this year and will be a big number to re-sign.