Ryan

Leafs Acquire Kerfoot, Barrie

Leafs Acquire Alex Kerfoot, Tyson Barrie, and a sixth round pick.

Send Nazem Kadri, Calle Rosen and a 2020 3rd round pick to Colorado.

Oh fuck. That's huge. I think it's good, too? Wow. 

That’s an awesome deal. 

Colorado retains 50% of Barrie’s cap hit. 

2 minutes ago, Jordan said:

Colorado retains 50% of Barrie’s cap hit. 

How...? Why would the Avs do this...?

5 minutes ago, Ryan said:

How...? Why would the Avs do this...?

Because Dubas is a handsome charming young man who can convince anyone to do anything! They got rid of Marleau and Zaitsev quite easily and now Barrie at 50%? lol 

It's too good to be true. 

They get Kadri at a good price for 3 more years and Barrie is a UFA in a year. 

Kerfoot is an RFA so we will not know if this deal works until that is settled but Barrie is the centerpiece. I liked Rosen's game but he is unproven. Kadri I will miss. One pain in the butt player

So after this season Barrie,Muzzin, Ceci will all be looking for raises. Why is Dubas acquiring all these short term deals? Waiting for Liljegren and Sandin to get better?

2 minutes ago, TMan said:

So after this season Barrie,Muzzin, Ceci will all be looking for raises. Why is Dubas acquiring all these short term deals? Waiting for Liljegren and Sandin to get better?

Muzzin and Ceci are both likely gone after this year.

I will miss Kadri so much. But this trade was necessary to shore up the d core. Still painful to see my fav player go. 

2 hours ago, TMan said:

Because short term deals means you have way more flexibility.  If it's going well, you can try to sign one or two of them, if it's not, you move on.

1 hour ago, Pittyman said:

Because short term deals means you have way more flexibility.  If it's going well, you can try to sign one or two of them, if it's not, you move on.

Easy to move on, yes, but difficult to sign new players with out of control salary demands and the Leafs cap issues.

5 hours ago, Ryan said:

Muzzin and Ceci are both likely gone after this year.

Could we walk away from Ceci in arbitration? 

Need to get Barrie extended for sure.

Dont see how they'll have the money to keep Muzzin, Dermott and Barrie. Will probably only be able to keep 2 of the three. I imagine Barrie and Dermott are the two. 

Muzzin is starting to reach the back nine of his career. Good time to avoid a long term and expensive contract. 

1 hour ago, Jordan said:

Muzzin is starting to reach the back nine of his career. Good time to avoid a long term and expensive contract. 

Exactly. Muzzin walks this offseason or comes back on a team friendly deal. 

20 hours ago, TMan said:

Easy to move on, yes, but difficult to sign new players with out of control salary demands and the Leafs cap issues.

Dubas is going to remake the defense the same way as the forwards, pay the guys that are worth paying, and fill in the rest with short term contracts, entry level deals or European players.  Find the guys who are on the fringes that need opportunity to play.
Keep bringing in guys like Teemu Kivihalme to have some competition for the 3rd pairing.  Anybody that doesn't make the Leafs, can play in the AHL.

Next season, Muzzin will walk, Dermott will be our second LD, and Sandin will be our bottom pair LD. Dubas will re-sign Barrie, Liljegren will make the team as our second pair RD, and we will sign someone cheap for our bottom pair RD.

5 hours ago, eMc said:

Next season, Muzzin will walk, Dermott will be our second LD, and Sandin will be our bottom pair LD. Dubas will re-sign Barrie, Liljegren will make the team as our second pair RD, and we will sign someone cheap for our bottom pair RD.

Overall I agree with your outlook. I'd be cautious about thinking Lilegren can play on the second pair. It seems like his upside is diminishing.

How is he progressing, admittedly I don't keep up with the Marlies as much as I should do.

I don’t think Liljegren is diminishing. Looks like he is coming along nicely for a 20 year old who suffered some setbacks through injury. Still needs another year, but I bet he gets a good look this fall. If any team has a 17th overall pick D make the team as a 21 yo, I’d say that’s a win.