Ryan

Leafs Acquire Kerfoot, Barrie

Leafs re-sign Kerfoot to 4 year deal worth $3.5 million per year. 

I was hoping he'd land somewhere a little closer to $3m but I can live with this.

Kerfoot has put up decent points in what sounds like mostly a 3rd line role. Spose to be pretty good defensively. I think he might be a good one.

2 hours ago, chesterblue said:

How is he progressing, admittedly I don't keep up with the Marlies as much as I should do.

2 hours ago, shovhd said:

I don’t think Liljegren is diminishing. Looks like he is coming along nicely for a 20 year old who suffered some setbacks through injury. Still needs another year, but I bet he gets a good look this fall. If any team has a 17th overall pick D make the team as a 21 yo, I’d say that’s a win.

Recently, Scott Wheeler from the athletic has said his offensive upside has hit a wall. Projecting a #5 at best. Most reports I have read have consistently been guarded about his projection. 

9 minutes ago, Alex Giniw said:

Recently, Scott Wheeler from the athletic has said his offensive upside has hit a wall. Projecting a #5 at best. Most reports I have read have consistently been guarded about his projection. 

I've read the same things.  But that said, have they been using him in a shutdown role like Babs did with Rielly that first season or two?  

Kerfoot at that deal is really good. He's pretty much going to replace Kadri except in a role he's more suited to. Kadri has more scoring touch I think, but that's not the role he was used in. That's a super good deal.

Now, Ceci on the other hand... 

Barrie was saying he was glad Kerfoot was in the deal with him. Spoke highly of his game. Cheaper version of Naz without the suspensions perhaps?

4 hours ago, TMan said:

Barrie was saying he was glad Kerfoot was in the deal with him. Spoke highly of his game. Cheaper version of Naz without the suspensions perhaps?

Hopefully, I liked Naz alot, I think Babcock got the best out of him. Hope he does well 

5 hours ago, TMan said:

Kerfoot doesn't have Kadri's edge.

1 hour ago, Krylian said:

Kerfoot doesn't have Kadri's edge.

Or 30 goal potential.

7 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Or 30 goal potential.

But the way Kadri was being used last season, he probably wasn’t going to see 30 goals again. I will miss the edge when he’s playing though.

5 minutes ago, shovhd said:

But the way Kadri was being used last season, he probably wasn’t going to see 30 goals again. I will miss the edge when he’s playing though.

As a 2nd line C Kadri will very likely hit 30 goals again.

Just now, Ryan said:

As a 2nd line C Kadri will very likely hit 30 goals again.

Yes. Which is why he was traded. If your not being used as a 2nd line centre, you can’t produce as a 2nd line C. So why pay 2nd line c money? Hopefully Kerfoot will be a good 3rd line C replacement at a better $.

15 minutes ago, shovhd said:

Yes. Which is why he was traded. If your not being used as a 2nd line centre, you can’t produce as a 2nd line C. So why pay 2nd line c money? Hopefully Kerfoot will be a good 3rd line C replacement at a better $.

Yes.

If he can be solid defensively, and put up 50ish points at $3.5M AAV he'll be among the best 3rd line C in the league at a bargain cap hit.

He has put up 43 and 42 points in his 2 NHL seasons so far.

9 hours ago, shovhd said:

Kadri was paid third line centre money. Let’s not pretend his salary was anything but a bargain.

46 minutes ago, Alex Giniw said:

Kadri was paid third line centre money. Let’s not pretend his salary was anything but a bargain.

As a back to back 32 goal scoring 2nd line center he's a bargain. As a 16 goal scoring 3rd line center, not so much.

Barrie is looking for an 8 yr, $8M AAV contract.

Just now, Krylian said:

Barrie is looking for an 8 yr, $8M AAV contract.

See how he does this year. Might be worthwhile.

1 minute ago, Ryan said:

See how he does this year. Might be worthwhile.

Would possibly have to move Nylander to make room.

16 minutes ago, Krylian said:

Would possibly have to move Nylander to make room.

Go for it...….

Nah. Barrie is right-handed Gardiner. He's really good, but probably not 8 million good. 

1 hour ago, Bret said:

Nah. Barrie is right-handed Gardiner. He's really good, but probably not 8 million good. 

Over/Under 65 points for Barrie in '19-20?

Let’s just see what he can do. Why speculate before puck drop. I hope h s worth 8 mil but he better be a lot better than my ol mate Jake.

Jake is a $6.5m d-man I think.  For $8m, I want serious production and less coughups.

You're not gonna get less cough ups with Barrie.