Jordan

2019/20 Toronto Maple Leafs

The Leafs will name a captain tomorrow. Judging by lack of media conference, I would say they're planning to do it during pre-game intros.

I think Tavares gets it and the spin on that will be he was always the first choice. Matthews legal woes never played into it. I would prefer Captain Morgan but I’m good with JT as well. One less thing for media to harp on. Just want a W to kick things off. A loss to the Sens would suck even if it’s just game 1.

5 minutes ago, TMan said:

I think Tavares gets it and the spin on that will be he was always the first choice. Matthews legal woes never played into it. I would prefer Captain Morgan but I’m good with JT as well. One less thing for media to harp on. Just want a W to kick things off. A loss to the Sens would suck even if it’s just game 1.

You're right on all counts.  It'll be Tavares cause he's got the pedigree, the experience, and his robotic nature is safe.

I'd like it to be Rielly but I really think that him only having 2 years left on his deal after this season may have played into it a bit.  What's his asking price going to be when he becomes a UFA after 2022?  $10M+?  Is there a guarantee that they can even afford him?

27 minutes ago, Krylian said:

You're right on all counts.  It'll be Tavares cause he's got the pedigree, the experience, and his robotic nature is safe.

I'd like it to be Rielly but I really think that him only having 2 years left on his deal after this season may have played into it a bit.  What's his asking price going to be when he becomes a UFA after 2022?  $10M+?  Is there a guarantee that they can even afford him?

I predict they will move Nylander before they let Mo walk, or move him.

5 minutes ago, Ryan said:

34 minutes ago, Krylian said:

I predict they will move Nylander before they let Mo walk, or move him.

Agree unfortunately. You can’t rely on the cap going up enough to cover your ass for overpaying. I would much rather keep Mo over Willy.

It depends on Reilly's next two seasons for me to make that call. If Nylander is adding more value on what by then should be a good contract - you trade Reilly no matter how much it hurts your heart.  

As for the Captaincy - JT is boring. He will get the job - but it should be Reilly. 

9 minutes ago, Alex Giniw said:

It depends on Reilly's next two seasons for me to make that call. If Nylander is adding more value on what by then should be a good contract - you trade Reilly no matter how much it hurts your heart.  

As for the Captaincy - JT is boring. He will get the job - but it should be Reilly. 

The growth of Dermot, Sandin, and Liljegren in also be major factor. It's alot easier to replace a player like Nylander, than Mo.

Points projections from Dom AlphabetSoup:

EF4PiVAXoAwcsBh.jpg

A little surprised to see Carolina as a 100 point team.  I think they're good, but I don't think they're quite that good.  Not with that goaltending.

40 minutes ago, Krylian said:

A little surprised to see Carolina as a 100 point team.  I think they're good, but I don't think they're quite that good.  Not with that goaltending.

That's going to be their make or break.

Liljegren down, Petan up. 

Both Hyman & Dermott practiced today. 

Rasmus Sandin sent down to the Marlies.  Kevin (6'4" every time he steps on the ice) Gravel called up.

John Tavares out with broken finger. Minimum 2 weeks.

With Tavares going down, I wonder what Babcock has up his sleeve. I'm not very confident in Matthews' commitment to being a defensive centre when needed. His comments about not ever wanting to penalty kill were telling. 

Leafs are now on the outside looking in. My confidence in Dubas and Babcock is definitely wavering.

15 minutes ago, Krylian said:

No truculence

More about roster balance and the quality of  d men. Truculence would be the cherry on top.

4 hours ago, Alex Giniw said:

Leafs are now on the outside looking in. My confidence in Dubas and Babcock is definitely wavering.

It's October.

3 hours ago, Jordan said:

It's October.

But they've been garbage for the last 60 games or so.

1 hour ago, Krylian said:

But they've been garbage for the last 60 games or so.

Since Jan 1st they are 9th in the East. Out of the playoffs.

FWIW their PDO so far this season is like .950 which is crazy low. Also Matthews is still playing at an MVP calibre, on pace for 60ish goals, posession is over 60%, but an extremely low on-ice SP%.

The cap situation and the defensive roster are still trouble spots, no matter what those numbers tell us. Matthews is still under performing against the elite opponents we have to beat to get somewhere. I’d love to see his isolated numbers against the top 8 teams in the league. Also only against other teams first lines. He’s often sheltered behind Tavares.

Dermott expected to play tomorrow 

Travis Dermott activated from LTIR.

Kevin Gravel loaned to Toronto Marlies.

I’ve just decided to not really watch games until the playoffs. I’m starting to wonder if they will even make it.