Jordan

2019/20 Toronto Maple Leafs

16 minutes ago, Bret said:

Before we fully do that, I'd like to see proper utilisation of the roster. Let Barrie play PP1, let the team play some high event hockey.

I know the old school thought is that high event hockey doesn't win in the playoffs, but the Leafs are built for that and Babcock has never let them play that way deep in to the season.

This team is obviously not good defensively, so just fucking score. Until they're allowed to play freely, and not the fake freely like they've done in the past, we'll never know what we have.

Oh.  I agree.  Moving players out and re-jigging the core should be the last resort.  Babs is gone, another season (and off-season passes), and secondary players are moved around before we look at the core...but I'm just saying that it should be on the table sooner than later.  As unfortunate as it is, we may find out that this is just the wrong mix of players.

Take a breath and remember the Blues. Much as I hate to watch them right now, I think they need more time. Remember that a third of the roster is new and playing for 2 new a/coaches. With the schedule in October they had minimal time to practice. When your trying to think the game it makes you look slow and lazy. Plus I think Rielly is hurt more than they’re saying and Muzzin played hurt the last 2 periods last night. Tavares isn’t quite right yet either. 

Before they trade off any core players I think you’ll see a coaching change if they still suck by January.

2 hours ago, shovhd said:

Take a breath and remember the Blues. Much as I hate to watch them right now, I think they need more time. Remember that a third of the roster is new and playing for 2 new a/coaches. With the schedule in October they had minimal time to practice. When your trying to think the game it makes you look slow and lazy. Plus I think Rielly is hurt more than they’re saying and Muzzin played hurt the last 2 periods last night. Tavares isn’t quite right yet either. 

Before they trade off any core players I think you’ll see a coaching change if they still suck by January.

If you need to cite the Blues as an example then you know your team is fucked.  That's a once in a generation kind of turnaround.  The Blues were strong contenders for years and were well built.  They had an awful first half to the season then caught lightning in a bottle.  The Leafs have had defensive struggles for years.  They have shown little to no improvement on the defensive side in years.  This isn't something that you wipe the slate clean every September and say, we're starting from scratch.  This is the same issue that they've had for multiple seasons.

I'm not saying it's time for them to win the cup or bust.  I'm saying that they've had more than enough time to embrace a responsible defensive game and they either can't, or refuse to do so.

Injuries?  Fuck injuries.  Every team has injuries to key players.

New personnel?  Screw that.  The main core has been here for years.  If they haven't grasped what Babs and the coaches are selling then either it's,

a. a system that doesn't work.

b. a system they have no interest in adopting cause they only want to play offense.

c. over for Babs and they've tuned him out.

OR

d. a group of players isn't willing to do what it takes to win.

4 hours ago, Bret said:

Before we fully do that, I'd like to see proper utilisation of the roster. Let Barrie play PP1, let the team play some high event hockey.

I know the old school thought is that high event hockey doesn't win in the playoffs, but the Leafs are built for that and Babcock has never let them play that way deep in to the season.

This team is obviously not good defensively, so just fucking score. Until they're allowed to play freely, and not the fake freely like they've done in the past, we'll never know what we have.

With Marner out Barrie should be in his spot on PP1. Plus he's a good 1 time option on the left half-boards, with Reilly in his usual spot as QB. I know the league has long since gone away from 2 D on the PP, but Barrie really is the best option for that spot with Marner out. Honestly he might even be better there than Marner, as both a passing and shooting option.

Let Dermott run the 2nd PP.

2 hours ago, Ryan said:

Trevor Moore placed on IR.

Pierre Engvall recalled.

6’5” every shift. 

Also, the biggest problem is the Ceci/Rielly pairing and it's the only one they didn't touch. Fuckin idiots.