Jordan

Maple Leafs @ Canadiens - 08 February | CBC | FAN 590

Why even bother?

3 of 4 in a back to back.

And Florida lost. So it could be worse.

Fucking ruined Campbell's excellent night. 

Just now, TMan said:

Lord f-in Jesus. Why do I cheer for these clowns.

It’s an incurable disease...

Just now, Ryan said:

3 of 4 in a back to back.

And Florida lost. So it could be worse.

How many games in a row do you think we can blow third period leads? 

Just now, Bret said:

How many games in a row do you think we can blow third period leads? 

I will miss the game on Tuesday. So I'm guessing that one.

11 hours ago, Ryan said:

Out shot 20-2 in the 3rd and OT. Unacceptble.

We'll see how unacceptable it is based on their action at the deadline.  I believe it is going to be completely acceptable and they're gonna ride this team for the rest of the season.

1 hour ago, Krylian said:

We'll see how unacceptable it is based on their action at the deadline.  I believe it is going to be completely acceptable and they're gonna ride this team for the rest of the season.

I'm tlking about the players themselves. They don't need another to player to learn to play witha lead.

They've always had trouble when defending a lead but it's become worse then ever now. They should be able to figure that out on their own. I don't expect a team leading in the 3rd period to be carrying the play, but being out shot 19-1 or whatever it was can't happen anymore.

1 hour ago, Ryan said:

I'm tlking about the players themselves. They don't need another to player to learn to play witha lead.

They've always had trouble when defending a lead but it's become worse then ever now. They should be able to figure that out on their own. I don't expect a team leading in the 3rd period to be carrying the play, but being out shot 19-1 or whatever it was can't happen anymore.

Watching lasts night nightmare showed that the problem might not be totally defence but rather our forwards.

Defence did a good job last night but out forwards were missing in action.

One shot on net in over a period by multi millionaire forwards in a game against the hated Habs while fighting for a playoff spot?

Don't waste your time with a one player defensive addition is that is all they can bring to the table.

Where is the heart?

4 hours ago, Ryan said:

They have to give a shit.  And when I mean give a shit I mean do what it takes.  They're not willing to.  This has been a problem for long enough that I think we can safely say that the personnel doesn't have it in them to play in required manner that it takes to lock down close games...or more in general terms, impose its will on other teams.  Show that you really really want it.  It's on Dubas this summer to bring in a few more guys that have a winners pedigree.

Edited by Krylian

I'm really not that worried. Aside from my lack of general intelligence, this core of this team's age makes me not overly concerned with these tendencies. I feel like they'll iron them out over time. 

Matthews, Marner and Nylander are all 23 or younger. Lots to learn yet. 

3 hours ago, jared said:

I'm really not that worried. Aside from my lack of general intelligence, this core of this team's age makes me not overly concerned with these tendencies. I feel like they'll iron them out over time. 

Matthews, Marner and Nylander are all 23 or younger. Lots to learn yet. 

But they're not necessarily the ones fucking up.  You need your other role guys to play their role better.

The team defense is atrocious. Not just the defensemen, but the way the team plays defensively. However, if I'm pointing the finger at anyone - it is BY FAR the D. They've got this amazing group of forwards, who are absolutely killing it this year. Matthews, Marner, Tavares, and Marner are all playing as advertised. They can all improve defensively though.

But take a look at our actual D corps, and it's easy to see why it's terrible. In fact, look at how many of our defensemen recently played in the AHL. Sandin and Liljegren were in the AHL this year. Holl would have been there last year if Babcock wasn't a complete turd and had him stapled to the press box. Now the actual NHLers.

• Our best defensemen, Morgan Rielly, is injured. When he wasn't injured, he wasn't playing nearly his best. 
  • Cody Ceci has been exactly what Sens fans told us he would be - a lia-fucking-bility. Absolute dogshit. His injury right now is a prime example of addition by subtraction.
  • Jake Muzzin - probably my favourite defensemen on the team right now, but is being forced to play too much and against higher QOC than he should have to. He's going to earn himself a higher contract than he is worth too because the Leafs have nobody else to play in his place.
  • Tyson Barrie is this year's Jake Gardiner. High-end offense with loads of giveaways and defensive lapses. He probably isn't as bad as he seems, but he's also not nearly as good as his supporters make him out to be. There is a reason Colorado was willing to part with him in exchange for Kadri.
  • Martin Marincin - somehow this guy is STILL neither a Leaf nor a Marlie. I'm uncomfortable with him on the ice, especially on the PK.
  • Travis Dermott - Probably the biggest disappointment on the blueline this year. I had pretty high hopes for him, but he seems to have taken a step or two back. Maybe it's because of his new partners or something, but he just isn't the same guy from last year.

Now look at any other team that has recently been a serious contender for the Stanley Cup with the possible exception of Pittsburgh. Their blueline is filled with experienced guys that are capable of playing in the NHL with maybe one new guy here or there. Compare our blue line to St. Louis, Boston, Washington, Tampa. It's not hard to see why the Leafs are barely holding onto a playoff spot or why they haven't won a playoff round since Mats Sundin was a Leaf. We have Justin Holl trying to shut down the opposition's top line!

Try and take yourself back to the summer and remind yourselves of Dubas' main goals. They likely would have been to improve the blueline and find a capable backup. Here we are in early February on the fringe of the playoffs and about to go into the hardest part of the schedule... and our blueline is still a joke, and we only recently traded for a capable backup. It's fucking agonizing to watch the Leafs lose games they should easily be winning because their D is comparable to a men's league. We are wasting the brilliance and youth of Matthews, Marner, and Nylander because of our shotty, shotty D.

I think the leafs banked on squeezing Marner more and the cap rising faster. But got screwed by reality. I also think we are seeing Dubas learn the hard way. 

.879 SV% not going to cut it. Yes Andersen was injured.

But he was .842 tonight.